Bounty on his head

clwg97

2-Step Enabled
Let me know if you get him patterned. I would love to burn a tag on him. Love a good sized spike!

deerdills

I'd remove him too. Those daggers could cause injury to bucks with more potential. So wouldn't reducing the spread of his genetics be a good thing? Seems like I've read on here that half or slightly more of antler genetics come from the doe, but wouldn't it be better for that buck to breed 0 this year vs any number of doe?

Bell3wv

I'm placing a bounty on this guy's head. Not because his rack might be genetic but because he's never going to be anything. Might as well remove that mouth from the environment. Truly an odd rack. Never seen anything like it.
Definitely a shooter

Chickenrig

He needs to go !!! Plain and simple
You dont want him being your breeder buck
Its funny how spikes get a pass because people think they will magically turn into a huge 8 pntr.
Most do not . If he is a spike at 2.5 he will always be a spike . I know they dont look good on the book of faces and nobody brags about shooting a spike but you need to get him out of the herd . I live in a county here in Al where we have a 3 pnt on one side rule and we have a pile of old spikes running around . Loose lips sink ships 😜
Good luck with him
Post a pic for all of the spike shooters out there

TheLBLman

Just me, but I'd be more interested in seeing what he becomes next year, than eliminating him this year.

I'm not too worried about him polluting the antler gene pool, as I believe most of the antler genes are coming from the Momma does (much like male pattern baldness). If you want to reduce these genes, shoot his momma. But she's likely over 5 miles away and impossible to figure out which doe it is.

BSK

what camera has sound too? That is pretty cool.
All of the Browning cams that take video record sound. And they record it quite well too! I've been amazed at how often I hear bucks grunting that are just off camera. I've had a running doe trigger the camera and although you never see the buck chasing her, you can hear him running and grunting as he runs behind the camera.

BSK

I'll bet his rack is not genetic but is injury-induced. Would love to be able to examine him closely to see if I could figure out why. But going back through last year's pics, I think I got pictures of him in early August, but then he vanished. I think this is him from last year. If it is, his antler condition has gotten worse this year, as he actually had a few odd points last year (although the spikes got longer):

Attachments

• buck2101a.jpg
    buck2101a.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 119
  • buck2101c.jpg
    buck2101c.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 119

BSK

I'd remove him too. Those daggers could cause injury to bucks with more potential.
I agree. He could do some real damage to other bucks.

So wouldn't reducing the spread of his genetics be a good thing? Seems like I've read on here that half or slightly more of antler genetics come from the doe, but wouldn't it be better for that buck to breed 0 this year vs any number of doe?
Actually, the best research indicates all of a buck's antler shape comes from his mother. That's not to say bucks aren't inheriting something from their fathers, but data from UGA's penned facility - where they know the parentage of every deer - finds that sons of the same father do NOT have antlers that are similar between sons nor similar to their father. Yet all of the sons of a single doe will have antlers that look alike.

In addition, I don't think this buck's spike antlers are genetic. I think they are injury-induced.

BSK

Give him another year. He will have a lot more sausage as a 200lb 4.5yo next year than just a 175lb 3.5yo this year. And who knows, maybe he will even hit 225lbs next year!
Love your rationale Mega! From now on, I'm going to manage for the "sausage factor!" Who cares about antlers. How many pounds of sausage am I getting!