Bore Snake Only During Season

UTGrad

I've come to a routine of only using a Bore Snake with a little Hoppes in front of the brush during season. Only after the season will I get out the bore guide and Dewey rod to do a deep clean.

Is this an acceptable level of bore care during season?

infoman jr.

That's more than I do. I would argue that a snake or an oiled patch is acceptable even after the season is over (except on muzzle loaders). There are mixed schools of thought on this subject, but I'm not a fan of over-cleaning. I'll clean and de-copper when accuracy starts to diminish.

jakeway

UTGrad said:
I run a Boresnake after everytime I fire my rifle during season.

That's not necessary, and even with a Boresnake you are introducing more wear. Black powder, yes, you need to clean after every shooting session, but Centerfire you can shoot hundreds of rounds over weeks or months between cleanings.

If you are out in the rain, though, I'd dry the gun thoroughly on the outside, run a quick patch through the bore and then lightly oil. Be very light with the oil during freezing weather.

Buccaneer

Not even necessary. Unless you have 100 or more rounds down the tube run three wet patches then three dry patches down the barrel and drive on.

FULLDRAWXX75

REN said:
Haha I didn't clean my 243 at one point for 2-3 years just because it was shooting so good. Cleaned it and it was all over the place till it got some dirt it it again.

I had the same thing happen with one of my 12ga. slug gun rigs, I had to run 25 slugs down the pipe to get it back to grouping properly.

FDXX75

BlountArrow

FULLDRAWXX75 said:
REN said:
Haha I didn't clean my 243 at one point for 2-3 years just because it was shooting so good. Cleaned it and it was all over the place till it got some dirt it it again.

I had the same thing happen with one of my 12ga. slug gun rigs, I had to run 25 slugs down the pipe to get it back to grouping properly.

FDXX75

UTGrad,
It all depends on your specific gun. Some guns will shoot differently dirty vs clean and some guns will not. Before I leave the range I know how my gun shoots on a semi-clean barrel or a dirty barrel. For instance, if I shoot 5 times and have a nice 3 shot group at 100yds. I might semi-clean my rifle in a similar manner like you mentioned. Then I might shoot another shot or two, that way my barrel is not "too clean" and any additional shots while hunting, for example, would be on a barrel that is similarly dirty just like the barrel was when I got the nice 3 shot group. I don't know if that makes sense in words, but bottom line = know where you gun shoots dirty or clean and then you know whether to clean or not and to what extent.

FULLDRAWXX75

BlountArrow said:
FULLDRAWXX75 said:
REN said:

FDXX75

UTGrad,
It all depends on your specific gun. Some guns will shoot differently dirty vs clean and some guns will not. Before I leave the range I know how my gun shoots on a semi-clean barrel or a dirty barrel. For instance, if I shoot 5 times and have a nice 3 shot group at 100yds. I might semi-clean my rifle in a similar manner like you mentioned. Then I might shoot another shot or two, that way my barrel is not "too clean" and any additional shots while hunting, for example, would be on a barrel that is similarly dirty just like the barrel was when I got the nice 3 shot group. I don't know if that makes sense in words, but bottom line = know where you gun shoots dirty or clean and then you know whether to clean or not and to what extent.

Not looking to start a major debate, but why would you only "semi" clean a barrel if it is shoot good?? So, if you semi clean it and it hits 2" to the left, you have to keep a mental note that when you semi clean it and the more shots you take the POI changes as you go..........................I like to have a better grip on where my bullets are hitting than that.

FDXX75

BlountArrow

FULLDRAWXX75 said:
BlountArrow said:
FULLDRAWXX75 said:
REN said:

FDXX75

UTGrad,

Not looking to start a major debate, but why would you only "semi" clean a barrel if it is shoot good?? So, if you semi clean it and it hits 2" to the left, you have to keep a mental note that when you semi clean it and the more shots you take the POI changes as you go..........................I like to have a better grip on where my bullets are hitting than that.

FDXX75

You misunderstand, or I dont explain well, or both. Not trying to start a major debate either. If I semi-clean my gun I ensure before I leave the range it is shooting exactly where I want it to. Personally, I dont feel comfortable firing 6 shots down range and then leaving counting on the 7th to shoot as good as the first few did on a cleaner barrel (I guess that might sound strange). Maybe that is me being OCD but I like to semi-clean my gun after I'm satisfied with that 6 shot and shoot a couple more times to ensure I'm still dead-on. I just don't like the idea of continually fouling up the barrel and counting on the "next shot" to be just as good as the first 2 or 3 were.
I can assure you I don't leave the range until I'm practically driving nails, and if I can't I'm not hunting with it.

REN

It's all in what your gun likes. My savage 243 would shoot better the more shells you shot through it which is why I never cleaned it. Now I will clean it after 2-3 boxes but never before that. My 308 would always shoot the first round from a clean barrel way of POA but then it would tighten up the more I shot.

I like mine sighted in with dirty barrels because that is what they are most if them time and its more constant to me. That's just me and my rifles though, different strokes for different folks

Big Gun

My A-bolt always shoots a little off on the first shot in a clean barrel. Once the first shot is through, it groups fine. Unless it rains I don't put anything through the barrel during season.

DaveB

Big gun and I have the same Browning. For me, my rifle bores are clean-cold steel-after no more than 20 rounds. We hit the range for a 3 shot group before we go hunting. After hunting, fired or not, I run patches down the bore. I have a 243 Rem 700 that absolutely must have a fouler down it.

I handload and every one of my rifles is at or near max loads. Every one is sub moa. Some of them took weeks of experimenting with powders, bullets, & COL.

Go the MSSA long range or any similar place and watch the pro's. Copper & carbon buildup adds more friction, is not equal through the bore, and detracts from accuracy.

Latest posts