Boone Lake/Johnson City Fishing

Mississippi Boy

I've got a small 16' aluminum bass boat at the house but won't have it up here until about June so when it gets here I'd like to know where I'd stand a decent chance of boating some fish. Looking at a map it looks like I can be at the Winged Deer Park boat launch on Boone Lake pretty quick but I'd just like to know how the fishing is there?

Also, are any of the other lakes in NE Tennessee (Watauge, Holston, Cherokee) any better or worse than Boone? Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

kwilli

Boone is a VERY busy lake, tons of jet skis, wake boats, and other fishermen. It can be very unpleasant out there. I have had jet skis fly up into coves I was fishing and just cut loose. A lot of the people out there have no respect for us fishermen. I prefer Watauga, even though it is a very difficult lake to fish, even in good conditions, there are quality fish to be caught. It is also a very gorgeous lake, and it's nice just to be out there. But if you can stand the traffic on Boone, it is a fairly good lake for fishing.

Latest posts