bolts ?

southernhunter

just started shooting a horton summit 150 . but need some bolts and tips. what do guys use ? never messed with a crossbow before . thanks

Dienamic

You'll get several different answers. I like the easton razzors. They are aluminium. I shoot a heavy setup. I removed the 5" vanes and went with the shrink on quickspins. Not too expensive in a 6 pack. Think I paid $29 or $39 at Dicks...

southernhunter

how much better are the carbon vs aluminium ? i have three aluminium hortons that came with it , and can you use standard broadheads or do they have to be for a crossbow

shopson

I've shot carbon and aluminum and saw no difference as far as target shooting. I have always shot aluminium, xbow or compound, but just my preference. I tried Thunderhead fixed blades and did not like the results. Went to the Spitfire expandables and like they say, they shoot as good as field points.

MQ1SHOOTER

Southern,
My son has the summit 150. I have it set up with Gold tip laser II'S, all carbon arrow and 100 grain muzzy. Dead on at 10yard, 20 yards, 2 in drop at 25, 5.5" drop at 30. They shoot great
Very nice bow to hunt with in the woods or a stand. Make sure you use half moon inserts, not flat! and use a cocking device. Good luck.

southernhunter

went down to dicks sporting goods the other day . all they have is easton xx75 {29 bucks}and easton power bolt{39 bucks}they are carbon and weight 10.5 each not sure if thats heavy or light for a crossbow bolt . gander mountain had some but they was out of my budget .what are y'all thoughts on the easton's at dicks sporting goods ?

Dienamic

Those $29 one are what I shoot. They do a fine job for me. I did replace the long vanes with quickspin shrink fletch. Thats with a big ole 125gr muzzy phantom on the end. I have no problems hitting a oak leaf on my target at 40 yds (as far as I target shoot). My vision is pushing this setup at 280 over the chrono. Plenty of speed and some good downrange weight. IMO the carbons are for squeezing speed out of a bow by dropping weight. This is not my main concern. My xbow shoots quieter and more consistent with a heavy setup. Save yourself some money and get the alu eastons. This is of course my opinion. Im sure someone can chime in about the virtues of carbons and they would be right too. In the end shoot what shoots good in your xbow and doesnt put your wallet in a bind. Lol!

wgmac

With my horton i could not shot carbon, they just wouldn't pattern very good at all so have loved the aluminum 20inchers from walmart with muzzy 4 blade. I am popping water balloons at 40 yards every shot. Just a bit from someone with that crossbow and maybe you can save some money from the trial and error that i had to cover. Good luck!!

turkeyhunter

The bolts that you buy one at a time at walmart been killing them pretty good for me. 4 bucks each. I use 100 gr muzzy with them. I have seen them at dicks, and other places also. I just pick them up as needed. I dont buy a set anymore.

Latest posts