Bobcat set pictures

Speedwell-Hunter

Anyone have pictures of their dirt hole sets or walk through sets.

This will be season 2 for me, I did not get one last year, trail cams caught them but I don't think my sets were effective. Thanks to anyone

-Speedwell

wildlifefarmer

Sorry I don't have any photos of sets, my phone blew-up just after trapping season. However, go to the management adavantage web site they have some great info on setting them up. You will find out that the main difference between a yote and cat set is the cat set is you have something flashy about 10 to 15 yards away like wing feather, cd, or anything that you can hang with fishing line in a tree or from a willow branch that you stick in the ground. This gets the cat attention when the wind blows. Just keep trying, you'll hit on it one day

Carlos

Anyone have pictures of their dirt hole sets or walk through sets.

This will be season 2 for me, I did not get one last year, trail cams caught them but I don't think my sets were effective. Thanks to anyone

-Speedwell
Yes, there's some great videos out there. I followed their training and caught a beautiful grey fox that was eating my chickens a few years back.
Sure hated to dispatch that one, it was really a magnificent animal. I gave it to one of the members here who planned on having it taxidermi'ed.
:)

Speedwell-Hunter

Sorry I don't have any photos of sets, my phone blew-up just after trapping season. However, go to the management adavantage web site they have some great info on setting them up. You will find out that the main difference between a yote and cat set is the cat set is you have something flashy about 10 to 15 yards away like wing feather, cd, or anything that you can hang with fishing line in a tree or from a willow branch that you stick in the ground. This gets the cat attention when the wind blows. Just keep trying, you'll hit on it one day
Yep this I know, Clint Locklear has a great youtube video ive watched several times talking about cat control with flagging.

I just need to see more examples since not many youtubers actually show the set in relation to the hole or whatever.

I am not even sure where to put my sets.

I have pretty much exhausted the youtube stuff, there is only 3-4 videos that helped me.

Carlos, where did you find the videos you learned from? Thanks

-Speedwell

Carlos

Coyote trapping school Channel.
TrapperJ.
Beaver Bandit.
Tracknthetrail.
Whitetail Properties.
Carolina Coyote.

These all have great illustrations on how to make dirt hole sets.
Good luck!

JhnDeereMan

2-Step Enabled
Speedwell
I'll give you my two cents on cats for what it's worth.

Cats are not as rangey as coyotes. If you have seen a bobcat at a certain location then it's a good place to set.

Do not make your set like a coyote set. The trap needs to be 18-20" behind the dirt hole or in my case pipe with bait. If you set it 10" back you will miss a lot of cats. They go in to smell and their head is way out in front of their body trying to smell.

It needs to be thick. I mean thick to catch a cat. Not where you set. But nearby. A farm road on the side of briar patch is a prime example.

Duck wings with a little lure on it Hanging about 5-6' above the trap area is dynamite. The duck wing needs to be visible from a long ways and have good motion in the wind.

Don't be afraid to set fairly close to a house. Bobcats range very close to houses.
Lastly. Find a cat toilet. I know it sounds crazy but bobcats typically use the bathroom in the same area. Just like an house cat uses a litter box. This area is called a cat toilet and if you can find one it will be worth your while in trapping it.

I do also recommend trying to trap out your coons, possums, and skunks with dog proofs a few months before you want to hit the cats hard. If you don't do this. A lot of your specific bobcat sets will wind up with a small critter in them.

JhnDeereMan

2-Step Enabled
Here are the best I set pics I have right now. One you can see is a side by side trail. Broom sage field on one side. Old Dozer push pile that is 100 yards long on the other. Duck wing in tree coming out of dozer pile hanging above set.

Cat on the log was a walkthrough between two log ends. It was on the edge of a overgrown field and wood lot transition.

Last pic is on the back side of a levee in the river bottoms where two fields meet. If you look behind the kiddo holding the cat you can see a beaver slide. They are always good spots to set. Bobcats always frequent a beaver dam area. In this case they would slip up the levee and try to catch ducks at night on the edge of the water.

Attachments

• C7C0D54F-6B2A-44CA-B2A8-072A394646F3.jpeg
    C7C0D54F-6B2A-44CA-B2A8-072A394646F3.jpeg
    329.2 KB · Views: 155
  • C7D8BD2D-5C8A-489B-B5D1-3AD438DB6878.jpeg
    C7D8BD2D-5C8A-489B-B5D1-3AD438DB6878.jpeg
    583.5 KB · Views: 161
  • 64287B2D-E164-4BA9-A8DF-C6363A7C41C8.jpeg
    64287B2D-E164-4BA9-A8DF-C6363A7C41C8.jpeg
    356 KB · Views: 150

wildlifefarmer

I'm not too good about posting pictures but I'm trying. Look behind the cat, you'll see the flagging 10 yards behind. This is set in a firebreak with a rock as backing and a stick as a guide. We caught 3 cats at this location.

Attachments

• IMG_0046.mov
    7.5 MB

Speedwell-Hunter

Coyote trapping school Channel.
TrapperJ.
Beaver Bandit.
Tracknthetrail.
Whitetail Properties.
Carolina Coyote.

These all have great illustrations on how to make dirt hole sets.
Good luck!
so are dirt hole sets same for both creatures, i see tons of yote vids, not much cat stuff. thoughts?

Speedwell-Hunter

I'm not too good about posting pictures but I'm trying. Look behind the cat, you'll see the flagging 10 yards behind. This is set in a firebreak with a rock as backing and a stick as a guide. We caught 3 cats at this location.
what did you flag with? how do you use stick as guide? thanks

Speedwell-Hunter

Here are the best I set pics I have right now. One you can see is a side by side trail. Broom sage field on one side. Old Dozer push pile that is 100 yards long on the other. Duck wing in tree coming out of dozer pile hanging above set.

Cat on the log was a walkthrough between two log ends. It was on the edge of a overgrown field and wood lot transition.

Last pic is on the back side of a levee in the river bottoms where two fields meet. If you look behind the kiddo holding the cat you can see a beaver slide. They are always good spots to set. Bobcats always frequent a beaver dam area. In this case they would slip up the levee and try to catch ducks at night on the edge of the water.

I will put my sets up in Nov and take pictures and elicit feedback from you all, this does help. thank you

Speedwell-Hunter

Speedwell
I'll give you my two cents on cats for what it's worth.

Cats are not as rangey as coyotes. If you have seen a bobcat at a certain location then it's a good place to set.

Do not make your set like a coyote set. The trap needs to be 18-20" behind the dirt hole or in my case pipe with bait. If you set it 10" back you will miss a lot of cats. They go in to smell and their head is way out in front of their body trying to smell.

It needs to be thick. I mean thick to catch a cat. Not where you set. But nearby. A farm road on the side of briar patch is a prime example.

Duck wings with a little lure on it Hanging about 5-6' above the trap area is dynamite. The duck wing needs to be visible from a long ways and have good motion in the wind.

Don't be afraid to set fairly close to a house. Bobcats range very close to houses.
Lastly. Find a cat toilet. I know it sounds crazy but bobcats typically use the bathroom in the same area. Just like an house cat uses a litter box. This area is called a cat toilet and if you can find one it will be worth your while in trapping it.

I do also recommend trying to trap out your coons, possums, and skunks with dog proofs a few months before you want to hit the cats hard. If you don't do this. A lot of your specific bobcat sets will wind up with a small critter in them.
"The trap needs to be 18-20" behind the dirt hole or in my case pipe with bait"

That is EXACTLY what CLINT LOCKLEAR said on his youtube channel! Thanks for this info, very helpful and I will employ these tactics!

wildlifefarmer

what did you flag with? how do you use stick as guide? thanks
The flagging is Christmas tinsel at this set.
At a dirt hole set, I usually will offset with my trap to the right. Left side I lay a small 6 to 12 inch stick equal distance from the center of pan. This has worked very well for me for cats and yotes

Speedwell-Hunter

The flagging is Christmas tinsel at this set.
At a dirt hole set, I usually will offset with my trap to the right. Left side I lay a small 6 to 12 inch stick equal distance from the center of pan. This has worked very well for me for cats and yotes
I see, so your trap 16 inches from the hole too? and how far to right you offset the trap? how big diameter stick you talking. Here is a pic of my main set last year, it is to left, logs set up on the tree, feedback would be appreciated. thanks!

also second pic is set #2 near a log, cat is RIGHT above the trap on the ground, you see the feathers, video shows him sniffing, very frustrating. he never would go on ground near it but behind it on that log.. Neither caught a cat. trap was less than 6 inches from each dirt hole, sticks are around the hole and the trap too...thanks:

Attachments

• PICT0529.JPG
    PICT0529.JPG
    380.2 KB · Views: 102
  • Cat-2.jpg
    Cat-2.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 105
  • Bob Cat 1.MP4
    35.3 MB
Last edited:

Speedwell-Hunter

I see, so your trap 16 inches from the hole too? and how far to right you offset the trap? how big diameter stick you talking. Here is a pic of my main set last year, it is to left, logs set up on the tree, feedback would be appreciated. thanks!

also second pic is set #2 near a log, cat is RIGHT above the trap on the ground, you see the feathers, video shows him sniffing, very frustrating. he never would go on ground near it but behind it on that log.. Neither caught a cat. trap was less than 6 inches from each dirt hole, sticks are around the hole and the trap too...thanks:
also see my feather in the set with cat in video? It gets caught in tree, so effectively a bad flag. how to fix?

Speedwell-Hunter

ive added another post with pics and videos of my sets from last year- Speedwell

JhnDeereMan

2-Step Enabled
My quick analysis….your set is blocking the cat in too much. The back end is too closed off.

You also have too much blocking in the sides. It doesn't look natural like a couple small limbs that might have fallen out of a tree would look.

My goal at each set whether coyote or bobcat is to only be at the set for less than 2 minutes making it. (This is with two people…one bating and luring and one setting the trap)
Every minute you are there you are laying down a lot of scent.

That cat you have a pic of is just passing through/hunting that area. It looks very wide open. It is coming from a thick area where it lives. You need to be on that transition to set your trap. Right up next to the thick stuff.

I always dip the end of the wing/feather in a little bit of lure as well.

Good news about your situation is you have a cat there in the area. Not all places are cat areas. Some places just don't suit them as well as coyotes.

I would take the camera down as well. Cat knows it's there. I guarantee it.

wildlifefarmer

I want to start out with that I'm NO expert!! And my eyes are not too good.
On most all of my dirt hole sets, my traps are approximately 8 to 9 inches from hole. Offset approximately 2 to 3 inches right or left. My bait hole n all gland holes are angled toward the center of the trap pan. The gland/punch holes will have fox gland on one side, cat or yote on the other. Gland/punch holes are also 8 to 9/10 inches from pan. Top this with some pee. The more scent the better to keep their feet moving! My flagging is 10 to 15 yards away. Just something to get cats attention. Anything flashy for long distance calling.

Blocking can be anything from small sticks stuck in ground to laid down to a tuff of grass.

I've had a problem with cameras spooking. Cats n yotes. Make things look natural.

Speedwell-Hunter

I want to start out with that I'm NO expert!! And my eyes are not too good.
On most all of my dirt hole sets, my traps are approximately 8 to 9 inches from hole. Offset approximately 2 to 3 inches right or left. My bait hole n all gland holes are angled toward the center of the trap pan. The gland/punch holes will have fox gland on one side, cat or yote on the other. Gland/punch holes are also 8 to 9/10 inches from pan. Top this with some pee. The more scent the better to keep their feet moving! My flagging is 10 to 15 yards away. Just something to get cats attention. Anything flashy for long distance calling.

Blocking can be anything from small sticks stuck in ground to laid down to a tuff of grass.

I've had a problem with cameras spooking. Cats n yotes. Make things look natural.

wait so what do you put in the dirt hole behind the trap? i thought that was where the gland lure went. thanks