Boat that's been sitting

Moonman

I've worked out a deal and will be getting a 15 year old seark 1648 with a 25 evinrude. The guy that had it only took it out a few times after getting it new and maybe put about 20 hours on it. The boat was kept in the garage until 3 years ago and hasn't been ran in probably 8 to 10 years. When he quit using it he had ran ethanol gas. I'm thinking a good carb clean and changing the impeller and lower unit oil are going to be done. Before starting it for the first time after doing the fore mentioned any other things I'm forgetting?

WTM

with the old plugs out, id also spray a 3 second blast of fogging oil in the cylinder(s) and turn the flywheel by hand before i started it. id let it soak for an hour. good insurance from damaged piston rings or cylinder wall.

id also change out the water pump impellar.

jlanecr500

As others have said, replace ALL hoses, primer bulb, Impeller, thermostat, plugs, lower unit grease and seals if you're handy.
Also check for dirt dobber nests in the water intake, fuel inlet, and pee hole/ tube.

I always do a compression test before buying. If not allowed by the seller, my offer will be lower.

Moonman

Well the seller is my father in law and went today and got some leaves out and stuff. The engine has less than 20 hrs on it for sure. I'll post some pics up once I get it home and cleaned up a little. Thank you all for the information and please add any more you think of.

brassmagnet

Stick a piece of weed eater line in the pee hole to keep dirt daubers out, cut it long enough to get your attention. Take it out when you put the drain plug in.

Safari Hunt

Beware of any gas or diesel that hasn't been run in years. Too many things that could present a problem- gaskets, gunk in the carb, etc. I would pass on it. Got a riding mower that hadn't been run in two years. Waste of $$$ to get it running.