Boat carpet

breaker19sK

Well, in an effort to avoid debt, I've decided to purchase an older bass boat. It needs carpet. Anyone know of a good chemical that will remove old adhesive fairly easily without harming the gel coat? Also, I've been told to avoid water based glue and spring for contact cement instead? 16 oz or 20 oz carpet? All suggestions are appreciated.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

breaker19sK

Kirk, I don't know whether to thank you or cry. I ended up with a few extra days off of work and have a some help from my teenage son. Some good advice in that thread. I was hoping to use the money I save from doing it myself and put it toward new electronics. Either way, the insight is appreciated. Would you definitely recommend 20 oz over 16 oz?

Kirk

The 20oz is too thick and all my compartment lids were so tight they wouldn't open very easy after I installed the new carpet. I would go with the 16 oz knowing what I know now.

I did all of mine with zero help. If I had help holding stuff and help removing carpet and glue it would have gone a lot faster. Youtube has a lot of great videos on the carpet replacement. They all make it look easy. Problem is with an older boat comes older, brittle carpet and lots of dirt and debris accumulation over the years. The actual carpet installation is easy. The removal of carpet and preparing the surface to receive carpet is the hard part.

breaker19sK

Kirk, I really appreciate the insight. This helped a bunch. Definitely going with 16oz based on this info and the samples I have. Again, thank you very much

breaker19sK

MickThompson, is contact cement as unforgiving as I hear? Any tricks to using it in this application?

Latest posts