Blessed

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
Your bully reminds me of one I killed several years ago. Rack was not impressive to look at, but he was big and acted like the boss when he came in during ml season a few years back. I don't run cameras, but it was pretty neat to watch him interact with other deer that were around when I shot him. Easily the biggest bodied deer that I've killed, and pictures don't do him justice.
2AC4A962-14EA-419C-BD9C-E78ED9290D23.jpeg
98C0539D-2C6B-422D-BC42-64944B2CB063.jpeg
View attachment 158444

Ski

Your bully reminds me of one I killed several years ago. Rack was not impressive to look at, but he was big and acted like the boss when he came in during ml season a few years back. I don't run cameras, but it was pretty neat to watch him interact with other deer that were around when I shot him. Easily the biggest bodied deer that I've killed, and pictures don't do him justice.

Very similar indeed! Something about those big bodied, small rack deer. It's like if Arnold Schwarzenegger had a tiny pecker, the attitude he'd have lol

philsanchez76

Yes I killed it here in Coffee County. My Ohio buck was shot on the 12th. This is the second 10 I've been fortunate enough to take this season. First three pics are of the 10pt. Last pic is of the bully buck. You can see how much bigger he was. Thing was built like a bulldog and he acted like it. Biggest 4pt I'll probably ever kill lol.
That 10 is amazing! Solid job sacrificing your second buck tag on that bully. At least you got a lot of meat from him.

Ski

That 10 is amazing! Solid job sacrificing your second buck tag on that bully. At least you got a lot of meat from him.

Yessir I sure did! Put 6 neck roasts, a dozen or so packs of steaks, both shoulder bone-in roasts, and enough ground for a 25lb batch of sausage in the freezer last night, plus 3 quart bags of jerky pulled from dehydrator before going to bed. It was a busy day and my back hurts!

I never had idea how dramatic and sudden the change could be by taking out a bully. I've heard about it before and thought folks were over emphasizing the urgency to cull a bully. I really thought folks were using "bully" as a justification for shooting a young or small buck. To be honest, I felt really conflicted about pulling the trigger because he wasn't a buck I really wanted, and I'd liked to have seen him go another year. But I let him walk a couple weeks ago in ML and soon regretted it because he was bulldogging all the other bucks into the surrounding properties. So this time I felt ok about it, and now feel even better about it.

megalomaniac

I never had idea how dramatic and sudden the change could be by taking out a bully. I've heard about it before and thought folks were over emphasizing the urgency to cull a bully. I really thought folks were using "bully" as a justification for shooting a young or small buck. To be honest, I felt really conflicted about pulling the trigger because he wasn't a buck I really wanted, and I'd liked to have seen him go another year. But I let him walk a couple weeks ago in ML and soon regretted it because he was bulldogging all the other bucks into the surrounding properties. So this time I felt ok about it, and now feel even better about it.
Congrats!

And yes, a buck with a terrible disposition and body big enough to hold his own on in a fight is a real danger to your other bucks. I don't see them often (maybe every 3rd or 4th year), but I want them gone ASAP.

The bully I killed that completely took over that particular location and chased off all the other older bucks was an A-hole. Just 2 days later, 3.5yo's and 4.5yo's moved back in.

Ski

Congrats!

And yes, a buck with a terrible disposition and body big enough to hold his own on in a fight is a real danger to your other bucks. I don't see them often (maybe every 3rd or 4th year), but I want them gone ASAP.

The bully I killed that completely took over that particular location and chased off all the other older bucks was an A-hole. Just 2 days later, 3.5yo's and 4.5yo's moved back in.

That is literally what I just experienced. He was even aggressive & mean with does. It wasn't hardly 24hrs after killing him that the deer were back to acting normal again. I would never have guessed or believed it had I not personally experienced it.

backyardtndeer

Killing the bully is what I truly believe scored me this buck. He was actually about 50-75lbs heavier than the 10pt, much bigger bodied. And he knew it. He's been beating up everything.
I think the worst bully buck we had here even ran does off plots in the early season. My youngest daughter and I watched him one afternoon of the juvenile hunt in 2017 and his antlers were already broken badly by then. She could have shot him a half a dozen or more times. As he came in, he kind of charged and grunted and the does we had been watching took off. We saw him a lot that season and let him walk, probably should have killed him, but hoped his antlers would be better the next year. Wife did kill him early on the following year, muzzleloader season 2018. He was a heck of a fighter even with his antlers splintered badly. His body language when he would come out, you knew it was him.
MFDC5422.JPG

Latest posts