Black Hills ,SD

4onaside

Have motel reservations in Newcastle,Wyoming this fall to hunt antelope. Newcastle is in the Black Hills(on the edge of the prairie, which is where the goats live. I was up there last year as a tourist and saw lots of turkeys and whitetails(and mulies).

4onaside

There is a lot to see up there. Newcastle is very close to the SD border. In addition to all of the game, there is Mt.Rushmore, Crazy Horse monument, Custer State Park(elk, etc.) the Badlands, Wounded Knee, Devils Tower, Deadwood, etc. Rapid City is a neat area also. All of this is within an hour or so drive of Newcastle. And, if you are into western history, the Big Horn National battlefield is within an easy drive. My wife usually goes with me on the western trips, so we do the tourist deals along with the hunting. Keeps everybody happy, and I can chase around after the beasts with her blessings.

iowavf

If you get to Deadwood and looking for a good place to eat, find Sanford's Pub and Grub. My wife's cousins own this place and several others around Wyoming. This place was originally an auto garage and converted into a bar/resturant. It's all decked out in old car stuff, nothing fancy but great food and reasonable prices. When Sturgis is going on several of the wrestlers eat there. Last time we where there and was sitting with her cousin, Hulkster stopped. Started talking to her cousin like best friends. He introduced us and shook hands, pretty cool.

trealtree

ChippewaPartners said:
I grew up on the Pine Ridge Indian reservation near the southern end of the Black Hills......good luck in some great country this fall!!!

My parents are going to the pine ridge reservation this year with our church. I told them to see if they can get any info on hunting there.

4onaside

trealtree said:
ChippewaPartners said:
I grew up on the Pine Ridge Indian reservation near the southern end of the Black Hills......good luck in some great country this fall!!!

My parents are going to the pine ridge reservation this year with our church. I told them to see if they can get any info on hunting there.
Its already on my agenda for this October, although not on a mission trip. There was a very interesting program on Frontline this week on the Wounded Knee standoff of 1973.

trealtree

4onaside said:
trealtree said:
ChippewaPartners said:

Its already on my agenda for this October, although not on a mission trip. There was a very interesting program on Frontline this week on the Wounded Knee standoff of 1973.

You goin on a hunt or the buffalo roundup. Or other?

4onaside

trealtree said:
4onaside said:
trealtree said:
ChippewaPartners said:

You goin on a hunt or the buffalo roundup. Or other?
Antelope over at Newcastle Wyoming(right on the SD border.

Dean Parisian

Pamelot, TN Ghost Ranc MT San Jose del Cabo, MX
It is truly amazing how many people I have met since I left Pine Ridge in 1971 who have gone with their church or youth group to Pine Ridge to "HELP" the people of the Pine Ridge reservation.

Honestly, in my opinion having gone to school there and knowing the history of Pine Ridge and it's people for the last 40 years the best thing that your parents could do would be to stay home.

The ills of Pine Ridge can only be faced and overcome by the people of Pine Ridge. The help must come from within. Tell your parents to look closely when they get there. Look at all the able-bodied youth and men who watch them work and sit idly by. Why aren't those Pine Ridgers doing the work to help Pine Ridge? It is a vicious cycle. And a very sad story of generations of wasted human capital.

trealtree

ChippewaPartners said:
It is truly amazing how many people I have met since I left Pine Ridge in 1971 who have gone with their church or youth group to Pine Ridge to "HELP" the people of the Pine Ridge reservation.

Honestly, in my opinion having gone to school there and knowing the history of Pine Ridge and it's people for the last 40 years the best thing that your parents could do would be to stay home.

The ills of Pine Ridge can only be faced and overcome by the people of Pine Ridge. The help must come from within. Tell your parents to look closely when they get there. Look at all the able-bodied youth and men who watch them work and sit idly by. Why aren't those Pine Ridgers doing the work to help Pine Ridge? It is a vicious cycle. And a very sad story of generations of wasted human capital.

I completely understand what you are saying. I think the primary concern is the children. If they have helped 1 kid and I am sure they have, I think the last 40 years of trying have been a success.

megalomaniac

be there next year for antelope, gotta build a point this draw... had a buddy who lives in South Dakota give me an invite on his places. I can hardly believe it, but he apparantely killed 26 antelope this past year with leftover tags!

Probably the best goat one could hope for would be around 13", so the trophy potential is not really there, but sounds like a fun hunt. One buck and 2 does per tag, IIRC

trealtree

megalomaniac said:
be there next year for antelope, gotta build a point this draw... had a buddy who lives in South Dakota give me an invite on his places. I can hardly believe it, but he apparantely killed 26 antelope this past year with leftover tags!

Probably the best goat one could hope for would be around 13", so the trophy potential is not really there, but sounds like a fun hunt. One buck and 2 does per tag, IIRC

26... how much does a tag cost for resident?

megalomaniac

$25 for a tag good for 3 antelope does... just a tad over $8 per animal :)

it's $45 for a buck and two antelope does... but those go in the general draw and there aren't any leftover to purchase OTC. IIRC, of the 26 antelope he took last year, 1 was a buck and 25 were does.

Latest posts