Best sleeping bag

deerchaser007

What do y'all recommend for a good sleeping bag for TN winters in back of SUV? Planning on buying SUV tent next year, but just need a good warm bag to get me thru this year when I go to lease.

PillsburyDoughboy

Wiggys! Get the 20 degree bag. Can't remember the name of it. It's heavy enough for cold nights if you throw a world blanket on top but not so hot that you burn up if you go camping in summer.,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

deerchaser007

Thanks, will look at it for sure. Was looking at a Coleman, but had lots of complaints about being rough on dry skin while sleeping. BTW, like the doughboy name. I work for GMI in Boro, so I see the PDB daily!

PillsburyDoughboy

deerchaser007":3viy9r9g said:
Thanks, will look at it for sure. Was looking at a Coleman, but had lots of complaints about being rough on dry skin while sleeping. BTW, like the doughboy name. I work for GMI in Boro, so I see the PDB daily!
No problem. You have to order them online and they are pricey. The Ultralight was the one I was thinking about.

http://www.wiggys.com/specials/sale-ult ... ed-colors/

The great thing is they come with a lifetime warranty. Wiggys bags the insulation it never shifts or separate like a cheap bag will do. I have never had the zipper kink or break yet. I wound up buying the FTRSS over bag which will take me down to -20 if ever I get crazy enough to do that. Actually on really cold nights when it gets down into the teens the FTRSS really makes you feel nice and warm. Even if you are using a wool blanket for added warmth. I like to be warm. Remember those numbers are really generated to keep you from getting hypothermia NOT really keep you warm and toasty.

Yes I know a lot of people will chime in and say DUDE get a down bag. They are so much lighter and compact better. Yeah I know all the arguments. Been there done that got a diploma. Down is great but if it gets wet it does not insulate all that great and it takes forever to dry. Feathers don't settle all that great and you have to be careful about cleaning instructions.

I don't pack anymore. My packing consist of putting it in the back of the truck and taking it out of the back of the truck so size and compacting it does not mean a hill of beans to me. Being able to wash it after every camping trip and not having a care in the world about how its washed or dried is a big factor to me and having the lifetime warranty on it if it rips or breaks a zipper means a lot to me. Its literally the last bag I will ever own.

PillsburyDoughboy

Check out the wiggys fishnet underware while your at it. If your wanting some of the best underware available look no further. It will keep you warm on the coldest of days and what I like about it is on days where it might be 8 degrees on stand early in the am and warm up to 60 degrees at mid day like it might in the west ,,,you don't find yourself suffocating or stripping off base layers. You can keep it on and feel ok.

YOUNGHUNTER

I suggest looking at a 4 piece military sleep system with a goretex bivy. I have seen them at surplus stores for $100. They will keep you warm if you sleep in them correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TraumaSlave

Take a look @ Eddie Bauer. I picked up one of their 20' down bags and will never look @ anything else. Ive slept in 20' weather and was still good. A little pricey compared to synthetic but, you get what u pay for. Sign up online and you will get sale prices all the time.

Forvols

laserman

Agree with planking. I have the same bag and also canelas 3D. Feet felt constructed in 3D even though there is more room than normal mummy bag. SG bag feels like a warm bed.

Climber

I think it depends on what you define as the "best". For car camping, just about any summer rated bag with a few extra blankets will be fine. If you are going to think it may be used for backpacking and tent camping, I would pony up and get a solid bag. I have a 15yr old North Face 30 degree down bag that has kept me "comfortable" in 14 degree weather and has 100's of nights camped in it.

Down is more expensive and slightly more problematic in wet and damp conditions but packs MUCH smaller and is also lighter.
Synthetic will usually keep you warmer when wet but is heavier and bulkier.

Decide what style of camping you will be doing long-term and find the bag that fits.

Latest posts