Best Personal Flotation Device Challenge

Yotekiller011

I need information on what to buy. I fish alone all the time and just like a lot of people I know I don't wear a PFD. Yes, I have them in the boat but I don't have it on because it's uncomfortable. I'm a good swimmer, I participate in triathlons and swim hundreds of meters in open water, I spent 15 yrs as a Navy EOD and like to think I'm as amphibious as anyone but if I fall or get thrown out and injured all the training in the world does not come into play. I've seen the new automatic inflatable life jackets but I don't know that much about them or what is the best for the money. I equate it the hunting from a tree without a safety harness, everything is good as along as you don't fall. Same with being on the water without a PFD on your person. With the story of Scott Northrup fresh on our minds and him being a educated, well seasoned fisherman but still not wearing a PFD is sad. He did not have to die. I'm going to begin 2018 with making the the commentment to wearing it every time without fail and everyone onboard my boat has one every time. That being said I need to be educated on what to buy. They make these very compact and comfortable, far from the old kapok in the Navy :D . Please inform me on what to buy. I challenge each and everyone one of you to please make the same comentment.

woodyard

I have a couple of Cabelas tournament 3500 auto Pfds. I always wear one when fishing by myself. These are comfortable to wear. I have the regular vests in the boat also, in case I needed to haul someone. When I fish with others on the big lakes running fast with the big motors , we usually put on vests and then pull them off when just fishing.

When fishing alone the one concern is that I may slip and fall in or be knocked out, so I wear one all the time then.

I have a different vest for when I am in the kayak. It is a different type and is more comfortable to paddle and fish with.

Kirk

In a tournament situation I always wear two PFD's. The compact waist belt manual inflation style and a regular vest style PFd. When I arrive at the fishing spot I shed the vest but still have the waist belt PFD on. When fishing solo I do the same thing.

On hot days, with a friend along I am bad about not wearing any PFD's.

This is about to change. With information about the FLW Okeechobee tragedy coming to light, I am going to buy a high visibility Life jacket that can be seen by searchers. Then wear it!

Yotekiller011

Great information, and very thought provoking. I hope this post continues to get great feedback. I didn't even know about a waist belt PFD. I've got storage full of vest and the old orange life vest that most have and never wear.

Buccaneer

Mustang MV5600 High visibility 100 mph jacket w/ACR personal locator beacon & led sky light.

Attachments

• 1F0F80D9-A46A-493B-9CCC-D366A7FAD113.jpeg
    1F0F80D9-A46A-493B-9CCC-D366A7FAD113.jpeg
    31.3 KB · Views: 943

scn

Buccaneer":pe4ustk4 said:
Mustang MV5600 High visibility 100 mph jacket w/ACR personal locator beacon & led sky light.

That is a fantastic vest and beacon set up, and would be my choice for running on big water. I doubt that I could make myself fish in it all day.

Buccaneer

I wear a Mustang HIT Elite inflatable while on the front deck fishing. Super comfortable, in fact I don't even notice it. I have been pleasantly surprised. The traditional rig is worn when the big motor is on, always. Since these recent tragic incidents, in my opinion a personal locator beacon is a wise investment especially given their price tag around $250 and no subscription required. Cheap insurance in the event of a worst case event.

nitro_z17

onyx a-24 when the big motor is on and if i'm by myself i wear it while fishing

mustang deluxe MD3183 if its raining, its hydrostatic

But I'm gonna start wearing a regular vest when running

Biggun4214

FYI, inflatables may not fully inflate in cold weather. With the inflatables that you wear around your waist imagine trying to get it over your head after you hit cold water and maybe even swallow some. Without practice they can be difficult to put on even in warm weather. A good vest will not only float you but will conserve core body heat in cold water.

WTM

Biggun4214":1racf0ik said:
FYI, inflatables may not fully inflate in cold weather. With the inflatables that you wear around your waist imagine trying to get it over your head after you hit cold water and maybe even swallow some. Without practice they can be difficult to put on even in warm weather. A good vest will not only float you but will conserve core body heat in cold water.

good point. also think about a heart attack in the cold water like this year. a friend i work with lost an uncle and a 16 year old cousin in the same accident in Jville. the grandfather had a pfd on and his seat broke and went in cardiac arrest when he hit the water. the grandson didnt have a pfd on and jumped in after him and immediately had a seizure and drowned. the grandfather died when they got him to the bank. very sad.