Best non-PSA budget AR pistol

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
In-laws finally decided to get an AR for home defense (no prepping or hunting ambitions), but gosh how I wish they'd decided on that 10 months ago. Could've gotten them a Ruger AR pistol for less than $600, and most importantly, in stock. Or a PSA for $500.

Now I'm not sure what the best option is, with what I know as reliable in the budget AR category being sold out (and I admit my experience doesn't extend far past Ruger, PSA, and when they were still in business, some DPMS). Throw some manufactures at me so I can get to hunting, and of course if you want to PM me a link to an in-stock offering of decent quality, that'll be immensely appreciated though not expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
I'm wondering if they're better off with a .300BLK chambering, otherwise with .223/5.56 I'd probably advise stacking V-Max.

Omega

Don't know why you are shying away from PSA, they are hard to beat in price, and the quality is not bad either. I have three PSA pistol lowers, currently 5.56, 300Blk, and .277 WLV..oh yea for got my 9mm, it too is a PSA. All run good and can be used for HD or a truck gun.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
Omega":71q69b69 said:
Don't know why you are shying away from PSA, they are hard to beat in price, and the quality is not bad either. I have three PSA pistol lowers, currently 5.56, 300Blk, and .277 WLV..oh yea for got my 9mm, it too is a PSA. All run good and can be used for HD or a truck gun.
I'd get one in a heartbeat. They're out of stock last I checked.

Omega

younggun308":x9vmh5e9 said:
Omega":x9vmh5e9 said:
I'd get one in a heartbeat. They're out of stock last I checked.

Ah, ok. You may be better off ordering a stripped lower and building your own. Anderson lowers can still be had for just under $50, like this one:
https://www.primaryarms.com/anderson-manufacturing-ar15-stripped-lower-receiver-closed-ear
AR-15-A3-LWFOR-UM-CLOSED_00.jpg

Then get a pistol build parts kit:
psa-10-5-pistol-length-300aac-1-8-phosphate-10-5-lightweight-m-lok-moe-ept-sba3-pistol-kit.html

5165493770.jpg

44 mag

Bucket"Does yours have the side charging handle? If so said:
I have the BCA side charging 7.5 7.62x39. It is a fire breathing dragon. I like it for the most part. What I do not like it that the charging handle is screwed into the bolt carrier group. To field strip the rifle you have to unscrew the charging handle. That's not that bad but the Prius that when being fired the handle will work it's way out and come lose or fall out. The only way I can find to fix this is with blue thread locker, but then you can not field strip for cleaning.

As far as the OP I second building your own. An Anderson lower with what ever parts kit you want or can find in stock. Them the upper of you choice. You can be well under $600 with a bear creek upper. You will have a reliable firearm and have what you want, with out extra parts laying around.

Tn_Va_Hunter

I have a smith and Wesson sport AR-15 and a PSA pistol kit. Both are good quality. Still lots of AR's in my area. But prices have went up some. The PSA build was fun. I've considered another one just to put it together.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
Urban_Hunter":bm5kqdq9 said:
Bear creek just put some 7.5" and 10" 300 blackout pistols back in stock if you're interested in 300
The chambering is ideal. Just not sure I'm crazy about the side charging handle. But it might be more intuitive to someone less familiar with the AR platform.

Latest posts