Best Hunting / Survival Knife/ Camping

mike243

GERBER BMF heavy/big enuff to do anything needed,mine has a diamond sharpening stone on the case & a pocket with a compass in it,mike243

mike243

when choosing a knife try to think how it would be used related to your basic needs,first thing i think of is a fire,for signaling or to stay warm or cook something you have been lucky enuf to get.shelter,pine branches layered to shed water works good,a small lite blade is useful in a lot of small chores but might take too long cutting wood ect.my swiss army knife has about a 3" blade & is a great knife but i would leave it at home if i had to choose only 1,99% of us will never need such but it is nice to have it,mike243

44fanatic

R.I.P.
I would say there are to many knives out there that are perfect for one or two jobs. One that is going to live up to all of these catagories needs to be not to big or to small.

Probably gonna look at one with a 4" heavy blade, drop tip, non folding. Can use it to gut an animal, cut small limbs/tree's less than 2" and most camp chores. The other thing you would want to go with it is a small sharpening stone.

moondawg

I have a Case Lightweight Hunter (fixed blade, rubber handle) as my main camp knife. It's not something I'd want to carry on me, but it's great for an all purpose/camp knife.

I like the large Bucklite Max, which is my main deer hunting knife. I'd get another just to have as an all purpose/camp knife.

I also like the Case Ridgeback, and the Buck Woodsman as smaller options...although I don't have either.

Like others have said, Kabars are hard to beat. I'd like to have one, like the Short Kabar knife.

For years, my main knife was a folding Gerber Gator. I found this knife difficult to sharpen, and started getting other brands.

Hogbear

Got an old Western W36 from back before they became a part of Coleman and then Camillus. Had it for almost 30 years and it's hard to beat for a general purpose belt knife.

Colemanw36.jpg

outlaw78

kershaw blade changer,it has a saw,guthook blade and fillet blade,i keep one in my truck at all times,but i have bought 6 just in case they get hard to find

10mm4me

knife1.jpg

SOG Desert Dagger (carried in Iraq 2005), S.Rice P-Type Bowie,

Cold Steel Stag Trailmaster Bowie, S. Kelly Viper Recurve (featured in

Blade Magazine), SOG Seal Team Elite, Cold Steel Master Tanto

w/laminated blade, Blackjack Model 1 7" Stag, Bark River Mini

Slither Recurve.

tndad

RutMan said:
Hogbear said:
Got an old Western W36 from back before they became a part of Coleman and then Camillus. Had it for almost 30 years and it's hard to beat for a general purpose belt knife.

Colemanw36.jpg

Got one of those, had it about 40 years, got my name on the end of handle.
Had one when I was a teenage, wish I still had it- didn,t appreciate how good it was back then

bullzeye

10mm4me said:
knife1.jpg

SOG Desert Dagger (carried in Iraq 2005), S.Rice P-Type Bowie,

Cold Steel Stag Trailmaster Bowie, S. Kelly Viper Recurve (featured in

Blade Magazine), SOG Seal Team Elite, Cold Steel Master Tanto

w/laminated blade, Blackjack Model 1 7" Stag, Bark River Mini

Slither Recurve.

I have that cold steel knife......and boy is it sharp!!

Latest posts