Best Caliber

farmin68

Whatever you feel most comfortable and confident with.

For me, the absolute best short action caliber is the 7mm-08 Remington.

Long action would probably be the .280 Remington. If not that, 30-06 Springfield.

Model70Man

hunt127588 said:
The one you can shoot most accurately.

Ditto that. Some people can't hit the broad side of a barn with a 7mm Rem Mag. because they flinch before the shot. Find a caliber that you can shoot with confidence. That will be the best caliber for deer for your specific needs and not anybody else's.

UTGrad

I like the 30 30 for where I hunt. The longest shot I take is 100 yards and I can shoot this with the utmost confidence. I have spent alot of time at the range with this caliber and it is comfortable to shoot. It also has the claim of killing more deer than any other caliber. I use the Hornady Leverevolution ammo that can increase effective range for this caliber out to 200 yards, even further with practice. A Marlin 336W can be had for $320 at Walmart, Academy, etc and don't let anyone tell you these guns are not accurate. With practice, I'm able to keep up with other shooters with their high end bolt actions.

Tiny

Whichever one I have an itch to use. ;) :)

If I had to pick only one it would be the 30/06.

mike243

there's no such thing as the best calibur,the search for it is what is the best :) ,energy transfer & hydralic shock is how guns kill animals & you have 2 diffrent methods that work,big holes with heavy bullets & smaller bullets moving at warp speed,both work but the old timers will tell you you can eat rite up to the hole with the older caliburs 45-70 444 ect,im glad we can chose what we want in this country although that may change 1 day,mike243 ps i shoot a 243 & a 300wm ,mice to moose

The 7x57mm is one of the best all around cartridges ever made, light recoil, great killing power and good bullet selection. The gun I hunt with varies during the year, anything from a 300RUM to a .223rem, but my best all around gun is a 7x57 (mauser) in a Ruger M77. An accurate and shootable gun is very important, especially if your recoil shy.

UTGrad

What is the layout of the land you will be hunting? Will you have opportunities at long ranges, or will most shots be taken at closer ranges? That will help in making your selection. Of course the 30 06 will take any game in North America at short and long ranges. If you plan on possibly taking trips of hunting various plots of land, the 06 would be a good universal choice, as it is for millions of shooters. I like my 30 30, since I primarily hunt here in Middle TN, but I have a 30 06 that I might try next year when I match it up with a nice Leupold.

mike243

the marlin shoots the gummy point bullets from hornaday,if you reload it will have to be round nose or hollow point.they may release the bullets 1 day but to shoot them now you have to buy factory ammo,good rifle but not as versatle as a bolt gun in that calibur,mike243

Model70Man

UTGrad said:
How versatile is the 308? I have been eyeing the 308 Marlin Express rifle.

The 308 is a shorter version of the 30-06 basically. The 308 is about 100 fps to 250 fps slower depending on bullet weight. Also the recoil of a 308 is significantly less.

7mm08

Gotta throw in my name...7mm08, same as the 7x57 mentioned earlier. 308 is a great round as well. Just depends on your pockets regarding ammo., which I am sorry to say will be a defining subject in the future depending on who gets elected. Probably way more 308, and 30-06 rounds out there than anything else.

pety221

theres a whole bunch of diffrent answers to that question
the one thats most comfortable to u to shoot without making u flinch from recoil .

Latest posts