Best Caliber

Homebrewer

Yank said:
Whatever is handy. It's easy, if i grab the 30/30 or shotgun with slugs I'll hunt short yardage in the thick stuff. If i carry my 300 weatherby or the 30.06 i'm going to get where i can see a little farther. I've never thought much about which one was the best round, only that one will shoot a little farther than the other.

I read an article years ago that claimed that the 30/30 has killed more big game than any other caliber?? I'd say the 30.06 is running a close second.

I know of a record book elk that was killed in the 60's in Colorado with a 250 Savage! I've killed two whitetail with a 357 Mag. The military uses 223 for people. It's all about shot placement

FULLDRAWXX75

Homebrewer said:
Yank said:
Whatever is handy. It's easy, if i grab the 30/30 or shotgun with slugs I'll hunt short yardage in the thick stuff. If i carry my 300 weatherby or the 30.06 i'm going to get where i can see a little farther. I've never thought much about which one was the best round, only that one will shoot a little farther than the other.

I read an article years ago that claimed that the 30/30 has killed more big game than any other caliber?? I'd say the 30.06 is running a close second.

I know of a record book elk that was killed in the 60's in Colorado with a 250 Savage! I've killed two whitetail with a 357 Mag. The military uses 223 for people. It's all about shot placement

The military doesn't much care if it is a dead kill or a crap load of wounded opponents...............Humans don't have anywhere near the will power to survive as a deer does. Humans panic because they know they know they have been shot, deer just know it hurt and get the heck outta dodge.

I too have killed deer with my .357 mag handgun, but I would not shot beyound 50 yds with it.

FDXX75

rldel

.270 win (if you could only have one)

(but then I have taken deer 7mm-08, .280 rem, .35 rem, 30-06 spr, 300 win mag and possibly may favorite - 450 Marlin)

Homebrewer

FULLDRAWXX75 said:
Homebrewer said:
Yank said:

The military doesn't much care if it is a dead kill or a crap load of wounded opponents...............Humans don't have anywhere near the will power to survive as a deer does. Humans panic because they know they know they have been shot, deer just know it hurt and get the heck outta dodge.

I too have killed deer with my .357 mag handgun, but I would not shot beyound 50 yds with it.

FDXX75

Agree on the military, it takes at least 1 man to care for 1 wounded, 2 to carry him out.1=3
On the 357 Mag 1 was 10 yards the other 30yards..

FLTENNHUNTER1

7MMAG said:
Hey im changing my choice to that 50 that guy posted the picture of...it should kill anything it hits or even hits near

Head shots only... :D

Barret.jpg

rldel

< LCU >

I would shoot a bow over a shotgun slug.
Benelli Super Black Eagle 2 camo.

It's all about the hunt.
Taking game is just a bonus.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hmmm... LCU
We have similar tastes in hardware...
07 dren, semi-custom magnaported Omega (Wal-Mart Simmons tho), Mod 700 (.270) w/50mm SF Nikon and an semi-custom Encore 26" HVY s/s 300 Win Mag Thumb-hole Nikon 50mm SF are the main toys.

misc (92FS, 96FS, Mod 29, etc. and a few other scrub guns like NEF in 3 cals 7mm-08. 280 450, +2 others). I run cheap in shotguns - Mossburg 550 and 835. Oh my daughter has an Italian O/U I customized by pigeon porting for her. Again, not fancy but highly functional.

...never been a fan of shotgun slugs myself.

LCU

rldel said:
< LCU >

I would shoot a bow over a shotgun slug.
Benelli Super Black Eagle 2 camo.

It's all about the hunt.
Taking game is just a bonus.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hmmm... LCU
We have similar tastes in hardware...
07 dren, semi-custom magnaported Omega (Wal-Mart Simmons tho), Mod 700 (.270) w/50mm SF Nikon and an semi-custom Encore 26" HVY s/s 300 Win Mag Thumb-hole Nikon 50mm SF are the main toys.

misc (92FS, 96FS, Mod 29, etc. and a few other scrub guns like NEF in 3 cals 7mm-08. 280 450, +2 others). I run cheap in shotguns - Mossburg 550 and 835. Oh my daughter has an Italian O/U I customized by pigeon porting for her. Again, not fancy but highly functional.

...never been a fan of shotgun slugs myself.

I finally sold off everything I was never going to shoot again.

Shotguns and deer do not mix IMO.

I like Leupold scopes,but giving a look at the Zeiss now. Mid grade stuff.
Leupold spotting scope,and RX rangefinder.
Binos are Swarovski. Keepers for sure.
I'm down the the SBE2,and a CD O/U for upland birds.
Still have my 870 wingmaster from college. Old school.

Like my Winchester 30-30 with open sights. Old school I guess. Plan a hog hunt with it soon.

Am about to build another AR-15 for predator hunting.
Another favorite sport of mine

Pistols are all Glock.

Bow:
Drenalin
QAD Pro
HHA single pin
Tru-Fire 360
Worlds Best strings
String Tamer
Stealth Stab
Carbon Express Maxima Hunters w 2" Blazers.

Yea, I'm a Mathews fan boy.

Even my climber is old school. Ol Man aluminum.

JimFromTN

I have killed over a dozen deer with shotgun slugs out to 80 yds and the furthest one every ran was 30 feet. The rest dropped where they were hit and I am not a good shot. Not that I am proud of my shot but I gut shot a doe once and she fell where I hit her. The entrance woound and exit wound were the same 1 inch diameter and half the intestines were dragged out the exit wound. Not pretty but very effective which is what I look for in a good deer round.

Latest posts