Best base layer?

Tenn.Guy

I usually wear under armor but I sweat so much I have a very hard time getting the smell out.

I hear a lot about merino wool... .??? Anyone have opinions , recommendations.

Thanks

BSK

Personally, I prefer polarfleece next to my skin. It wicks moisture well, and for me, is warmer than any of the other synthetics. I have different sets of base-layers made of different weights of polarfleece, from 100-weight to 300-weight.

AT Hiker

Merino wool is great, I use merino wool socks on long distance hiking trips and it takes a couple days for them to start smelling, a cotton sock starts to stink quick and you can never get the smell out.

I would suggest checking out Serria Trading Post and looking at the Icebreaker merino wool line. You can get it cheap, especially if you sign up for email alerts...typically they send you a 30% off coupon. No tax and cheap shipping too.

AllOutdoors

BSK said:
Personally, I prefer polarfleece next to my skin. It wicks moisture well, and for me, is warmer than any of the other synthetics. I have different sets of base-layers made of different weights of polarfleece, from 100-weight to 300-weight.

^^^ This.

AllOutdoors

BSK said:

^^^ This.

FULLDRAWXX75

Polypro or the best............SILK.

Laugh all you want, but it is the best moisture wicking fabric known to mankind. Light also.

I wear silk boxers when I am on a long haul with the bike, no sweat means.........no chaffing and uncomfortable riding.

FDXX75

Poleaxe

You must have the UA 1.0 base layer. It is hard to rid the smell out of. I found that the 3.0 is easier to descent though I don't do a lot of walking in the top. It works great keeping you warm.

DntBrnDPig

Keep an eye on CamoFire.com for Core4Element's Merino Wool base layers. They are only 90 weight, but they do great here once the weather starts to cool off. Thin (almost as panty hose) but they keep you warm some how.

trealtree

Merino wool. I am building my base layer. Right now I have the cor4 element 1/4 zip shirt and I plan on getting minus 33 bottoms and a top and underwear.

smalljawbasser

One key benefit to the UA for me is compression. It helps with circulation. I have heard mixed reviews about the new EVO cold gear but the original cold gear and the new 3.0 and 4.0 is good stuff.

I then wear light weight looser fitting wool over that.