BASS Elite at Fork

WTM

Well.....it's a little different. Trail cams let you know that the animal WAS in the area at one time in the past........FFS lets you know the fish is in front of you NOW and if it is responding to you and if you even want to fool with it because you can distinguish its size first. Imagine, if you will, having the capability while hunting to pull your truck or ATV up at the bottom of a ridge before you climb it and scan to see the area for deer and see if a deer you are interested in is on that ridge now. And you could also know if it was a spike or a booner before you climbed that ridge or possibly wasting your time in a dead area and decide just to go somewhere else and hunt instead. This sonar capability is coming eventually in the hunting world. 🤔
pretty much can with cell cams, which is why the trophy scoring clubs do not allow a record that was killed using real time information.

Ridgeline300

I do not like FFS. If I fished for a living I get one and have to like but I don't. I now only fish tournaments March through September. Those are the only months my old school methods can compete. If you don't have ffs you cannot compete in wintertime. Yea it's still fishing and still requires some sort of skill set but I take more pride in catching a fish I know is there even without seeing it. FFS allowed a 19 year old kid to be at the top of the leaderboard fishing against guys with decades worth of fishing knowledge, just don't seem right but oh well.

WTM

I do not like FFS. If I fished for a living I get one and have to like but I don't. I now only fish tournaments March through September. Those are the only months my old school methods can compete. If you don't have ffs you cannot compete in wintertime. Yea it's still fishing and still requires some sort of skill set but I take more pride in catching a fish I know is there even without seeing it. FFS allowed a 19 year old kid to be at the top of the leaderboard fishing against guys with decades worth of fishing knowledge, just don't seem right but oh well.
that 19 year old kid could flip and pitch a jig better than some pros when he was 12.

deerhunter10

Regardless of if you think it's ridiculous. Just being in that field is a giant accomplishment in itself. Discrediting a 19 year old winning an elite series is wild.

Ridgeline300

that 19 year old kid could flip and pitch a jig better than some pros when he was 12.
I would bet every dollar I've ever made or will make that without FFS he doesn't make the cut. He's a great fisherman, not saying that. Lots of great fisherman never even make it pro.

Ridgeline300

Regardless of if you think it's ridiculous. Just being in that field is a giant accomplishment in itself. Discrediting a 19 year old winning an elite series is wild.
Definitely an accomplishment but do it without FFS and see how he stacks up. He's a great fisherman no doubt and has skills no doubt just not my thing. I'd rather flip a shoreline or to a stump or tree I can see with me eyes. You can have your opinion same as me.

TRIGGER

Definitely an accomplishment but do it without FFS and see how he stacks up. He's a great fisherman no doubt and has skills no doubt just not my thing. I'd rather flip a shoreline or to a stump or tree I can see with me eyes. You can have your opinion same as me.
And the Indians would tell you that catching a fish on a rod and reel isn't an accomplishment. Things evolve we ALL use more than what our previous generations used to catch fish. I see it both ways but you can't change the fact that at that level they are all playing on the same field.

TNReb

On my Facebook page one guy wrote, "I was watching the BASS ELITE today. These guys just drive around looking at a video game until they see fish! Not really a fan of this type of fishing. But hey they caught some monster fish."

View attachment 217873

It's already happening. People are already experimenting with VR goggles & FFS.

I have livescope. I like livescope. I do not "hunt" fish though. I don't go looking for a single fish and casting at it until I catch it. I use it to just scan general areas... looking for cover, bait, etc.

I don't like where technology is going in fishing. The moment I enter a local tournament and get beat by guys wearing headset will be the day I list my boat for sale and go back to playing golf.

Part of what I like about fishing is trying to figure them out. Pulling into a cove and scanning it until I see a fish and throwing at it doesn't excite me.

On the other hand, pulling up on top of a bush and immediately knowing it has crappie and picking them off 1 by 1 is right up my alley. I'm looking to fill my freezer with crappie - I'm not in to the "sport" of trying to figure those out. :)

Last edited:

WTM

whats coming around the bend is going to be a potlickers dream. no longer will they need to ask for spots, scour the interweb looking for pics to try to locate spots, etc. its going to be built right into the fishfinder. dont know how to fish or too lazy to learn? itll have you covered. just go to a lake, turn on the mfd and it will tell you the spot to fish, the best time to fish, the best bait to use, how deep to fish it. heck you wont even need to know how to work a bait, the new AI baits will do it for you.

how will they get all this data? the interweb and your mfd when you go to do an update.

sounds cool.

kaizen leader

whats coming around the bend is going to be a potlickers dream. no longer will they need to ask for spots, scour the interweb looking for pics to try to locate spots, etc. its going to be built right into the fishfinder. dont know how to fish or too lazy to learn? itll have you covered. just go to a lake, turn on the mfd and it will tell you the spot to fish, the best time to fish, the best bait to use, how deep to fish it. heck you wont even need to know how to work a bait, the new AI baits will do it for you.

how will they get all this data? the interweb and your mfd when you go to do an update.

sounds cool.
Everyone is collecting your data. I'm glad I grew up in the 50, 60, and 70's. Life was fun and private.

TNReb

On a note, I'm glad they started weighing each fish when it's caught and releasing it where it was caught.
They only did that at Fork because it has a slot limit and they can't bring in all of the fish. They brought in anything over 24 inches and showed them off. They don't do that every tournament.

I'm with you though - I would like to see the Elites catch/weigh/release everything. Unless there's an issue with marshals/judges in each boat, there's no reason to stress the fish out and bring them in and show them off.... other than the issue of catching the same fish more than once (like the MLF BPT fiasco last year).

kaizen leader

They only did that at Fork because it has a slot limit and they can't bring in all of the fish. They brought in anything over 24 inches and showed them off. They don't do that every tournament.

I'm with you though - I would like to see the Elites catch/weigh/release everything. Unless there's an issue with marshals/judges in each boat, there's no reason to stress the fish out and bring them in and show them off.... other than the issue of catching the same fish more than once (like the MLF BPT fiasco last year).
Definately speeds thing up too.

WTM

I am not a fish biologist. Far from it. But from what I have read pulling big bass from deep water and not knowing how to properly handle them potentially can kill them at high rates.
yeah that can happen but a lot of fish they are targeting are suspended fish over deep water. suspended bass were very hard to catch before ffs.

a fish kill can happen in bad conditions. example ky lake triton owners around 2016 where about 500, 5 pounders washed up on shore. 4 foot waves and bad weather wasnt conducive to their survival in live wells.

XCR-2

What does it matter? Does it even the playing field? No. Does it hurt the fish? No. Is it cheating? No. To some of those saying that people couldn't compete without it, I agree, but the same thing goes with hunting, take a rifle outta some of yalls hands and you'd never kill a deer.

JRC1

yeah that can happen but a lot of fish they are targeting are suspended fish over deep water. suspended bass were very hard to catch before ffs.

a fish kill can happen in bad conditions. example ky lake triton owners around 2016 where about 500, 5 pounders washed up on shore. 4 foot waves and bad weather wasnt conducive to their survival in live wells.
Remember that very well. Rip rap by Paris Landing Marina covered in dead bass. Sickening.

Latest posts