Bad predicament this morning. Long Read

timberjack86

Had another morning of silence on South Cherokee. Was walking back to the truck around a deep gorge with a spring running thru it under the service road I was walking on, there was a large boulder as big as a house and as I approached the boulder I heard a loud snort and a deep gutteral grunt. Frozen I looked up at the boulder and watched a big angry boar hog step out from behind it. He smelled me and he didn't like what he was smelling! I had in my hands my single shot 410. :eek: At this point he still hasn't seen me and he's pawing the ground like a mad bull. It's only a matter of time before he sees me. I get the little shotgun cocked silently and aim at where his skull meets his neck. Really had to think about the consequences of what was about to happen if I shoot or not and decided I wasn't waiting on him to make the first move. I pulled the trigger. To my surprise he fell or tripped and got back up screaming up the ridge away from me. I slowly backed up the way I came about a 100 yards and watched down the road. 15 minutes went by and I made my way to the truck. Lesson learned I'm fixing to carry my 12 gauge with TSS hunting in hog country. I hope that mean SOB died. I wasn't about to go looking for him with a 410 lol

Pilchard

Glad you are ok. I'm a beginner at turkey hunting but I have caught my fair share of pigs.

If I had a 410 I'd probably choose my bare hands over the gun. Having a 410 when faced with an angry pig is like having a pocket full of rocks.

It's best to get between a tree and the pig and if given the opportunity, grab a leg and lift skyward to flip the pig on its back quickly. Then stick your knee in its gut and it will kick but will basically be immobilized.

All that said, I'll share a funny story.

I was hunting with a group of friends in an orange grove that my buddy's father owned. I was maybe 16 yrs old and weighed 150 lbs. The dogs bayed a large boar in the palmettos. In the darkness I crawled atop the palmetto bushes heading towards the sounds of the dogs.

When I finally got close, I looked down and the pig was between my legs. I reached down and wrapped his tail around my hand as if I was wiring a marlin.

When I got a good grip I tried to lift his back end off the ground but the pig had other plans. He took off running and yanked me out of the bushes head first and dragged me what felt like a mile before I could get my hand loose from his tail. Fortunately the only thing hurt was my ego.

The pig got away and it ripped up a cur dog and a catch dog in the process.

Atchman2

Wow! I've never had one threaten to charge me unless it was wounded! On the other hand I carry a .44 Magnum in bear and boar country. My friend made me purchase it if I wanted to hunt on his lands.

Atchman2

I blasterated a coyote that was coming at me once during turkey season. I don't know if he ever saw me! I made the mistake of using my coyote howler for a location call! He had blood in his eyes that was for certain! The other one that was with him, circled down wind and was coming in behind me. :p

Latest posts