Bad duck year?

TimberMan

Who exactly do we need to contact to recommend a 2 or 3 duck limit for a few season and add that to a 30 days season we might get some duck numbers back. And get rid of a lot of pressure

GUNNERX2

It is up to the USFWS to set the framework for each of the flyways. It is up to the various states to set their season within the constraints of what the the USFWS decides. Each state can decide to have fewer days/ducks than what the feds allow but they cannot have more days/ducks than what the feds allow.

Dodge Man

It is up to the USFWS to set the framework for each of the flyways. It is up to the various states to set their season within the constraints of what the the USFWS decides. Each state can decide to have fewer days/ducks than what the feds allow but they cannot have more days/ducks than what the feds allow.
They only set the season days every 2 years. But since we have not had a nesting ground count since 2019 and dose not look like we will have one in 2022. I don't see any major changes in the next couple of years.

Bgoodman30

And as others have mentioned, I've not seen/heard a single V of Canada geese go over this year. usually I see/hear quite a few when I'm on stand. I'm hearing cranes this year, but no geese.

I saw a report of Canadas moving into South Dakota yesterday... They are subzero with blizzard like conditions... I sure do miss the days of killing geese in the TN river area.

Bgoodman30

Who exactly do we need to contact to recommend a 2 or 3 duck limit for a few season and add that to a 30 days season we might get some duck numbers back. And get rid of a lot of pressure

That won't change the weather my man...

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
I don't duck hunt, but my place is surrounded by duck clubs. And I'm not hearing much shooting. Is it a bad year for duck hunting?
I don't Duck Hunt either.I'm right across the Lake from you. Same thing Quietest deer season on the stand I can remember. I've also been seeing more deer movement . I've always thought all the shooting contributes to the wise Older deer going nocturnal.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
It is not only the Ducks that are off. All the migratory birds are not migrating. Avid Bird watchers are not seeing Birds like usual. My bird feeders aren't seeing the use or variety the normally do..

West_Tn

If it sucks so bad for everyone, and thats all people are killing or less anyway what's it going to change?

TimberMan

That won't change the weather my man...
Weather is a major part of it, I agree. with farming for ducks and the massive harvests of private clubs and guide services we need changes.
If it sucks so bad for everyone, and thats all people are killing or less anyway what's it going to change?
I'm referring to the flyaway. Commercialized hunting and private farms able to legally bait (flooded crops with no intent to harvest) and killings thousands for years and each year more spots pop-up. We are seeing the effects of heavy harvests, heavier pressure, and thousands upon thousands of acres of flooded crops both private and the ever growing refuge system.

Bgoodman30

Weather is a major part of it, I agree. with farming for ducks and the massive harvests of private clubs and guide services we need changes.

I'm referring to the flyaway. Commercialized hunting and private farms able to legally bait (flooded crops with no intent to harvest) and killings thousands for years and each year more spots pop-up. We are seeing the effects of heavy harvests, heavier pressure, and thousands upon thousands of acres of flooded crops both private and the ever growing refuge system.

I know private farms and guide services with tons of food that used to have massive harvests that aren't killing jack squat right now.
Really haven't in last couple years.. I just wish they would stop planting the refuges with this weather they don't get eaten out until the end of January..

Dodge Man

I know private farms and guide services with tons of food that used to have massive harvests that aren't killing jack squat right now.
Really haven't in last couple years.. I just wish they would stop planting the refuges with this weather they don't get eaten out until the end of January..
I am starting to think when they finally do the nesting area counts it will be 1/2 the population that it was at its peak in 2016 or so. I think there are a lot less ducks then the Feds are claiming.

Bgoodman30

I am starting to think when they finally do the nesting area counts it will be 1/2 the population that it was at its peak in 2016 or so. I think there are a lot less ducks then the Feds are claiming.
Probably or they are just not migrating this far way too warm.

The trend lately is the worse it gets the more money they throw at em...

Latest posts