Bad duck year?

Levee Jumper

Ive only been twice and killed 26 total. The only way to keep a good average this year is to go when the conditions are right or go when you get a call from somebody that has been resting a place.

BTW I need some more phone calls lol.

Dodge Man

Ive only been twice and killed 26 total. The only way to keep a good average this year is to go when the conditions are right or go when you get a call from somebody that has been resting a place.

BTW I need some more phone calls lol.
I would have to disagree. My blind has been hunted every day so far of the season. We have killed over 150 total. Both opening weekends are decent but the other days that we good were just random Mondays or weekdays with no weather change. Or weather has been almost the same all season. Some warm days but most nights and mornings have been close to the same temperatures. In the past few years I have taken vacation days on major cold fronts and big weather changes and kill almost nothing. Then a few days later they will kill a bunch on just a random day with nothing out of the ordinary weather wise. You can not tell me you can predict a great day of duck hunting anymore.

Hawk

I don't duck hunt, but my place is surrounded by duck clubs. And I'm not hearing much shooting. Is it a bad year for duck hunting?
Back in the early 60's there was a season when the weather was very dry like this year & the was limit was one mallard duck a day.
Believe it or not it was a better year than this year.

Levee Jumper

I would have to disagree. My blind has been hunted every day so far of the season. We have killed over 150 total. Both opening weekends are decent but the other days that we good were just random Mondays or weekdays with no weather change. Or weather has been almost the same all season. Some warm days but most nights and mornings have been close to the same temperatures. In the past few years I have taken vacation days on major cold fronts and big weather changes and kill almost nothing. Then a few days later they will kill a bunch on just a random day with nothing out of the ordinary weather wise. You can not tell me you can predict a great day of duck hunting anymore.
I agree with what you're saying about predicting good hunting days. I guess what I was getting at is this year in your good hole in a good bottom the average is around 7 per day.

Good conditions to me are a rising or crested river. They turn great with sunshine and wind. Im with you on cold fronts.

Bgoodman30

Are your numbers similar to last year?

Levee Jumper

3 years ago we killed as many in the first 5 days and we have killed for this season so far.
Ive got a feeling that the last 2-3 weeks will be a banger for you. Last report I got is that most of the Forked Deer Bottom is still dry. Is this the case in your area as well? I know it got right to the top of the bank a couple weeks ago.

Bgoodman30

I thought rock bottom was last year... There are some flashes of hope but this year is the absolute worst.. I know clubs that are pretty much shut down until 22.. Dodge man is right you cant bet on weather days producing anymore... Its almost like the ducks know this is the best chance of getting shot so they don't fly.. If I could of have forecasted this heat wave for the month I would have guessed it would have been this bad.. We need wet or cold/dry. Warm and dry sucks..

The only thing I have seen produce this season is rain/fog/low ceiling or cold with sunshine. It seems like your best bet with these weather patterns is to hunt rest holes or timber traffic holes. The only food holes I see producing are managed with almost no pressure. Hopefully 2022 turns around there is some real cold air holding to the North. Good luck to ya'll.

Latest posts