August hunt clothing.......

Coker

Why does the TWRC exist if they are going to pull a stunt like this? If TWRA did not recommend or agree with the velvet Hunt, then why did the TWRC approve it? Aren't they supposed to be working as a team for the betterment of wildlife? Seems the biologist/TWRA knows more and are smatter but are out numbered/overruled quite often. That brings me back to my first question.........why does the TWRC exist? :bash: This is not the first idiotic thing they have done.

fairchaser

MUP":2uwqn8uv said:
I'm kinda surprised that the commission didn't slap some antler restrictions on this velveteen buck hunt actually. I can just hear the bemoaning of some regular Joe hunter when he proclaims be got his velvet buck, a good ol 11 pt. ;)

How exactly would that be enforced when you can check in a buck on your phone? I've been part of a club for a decade that has gross score antler restrictions and it's still very, very difficult to score live deer on the move. I say if a hunter wants to use one of his buck tags on a 3 inch spike, go for it and shouldn't be criticized if it's a legal deer.

MUP

fairchaser":2yk0mwwl said:
MUP":2yk0mwwl said:
I'm kinda surprised that the commission didn't slap some antler restrictions on this velveteen buck hunt actually. I can just hear the bemoaning of some regular Joe hunter when he proclaims be got his velvet buck, a good ol 11 pt. ;)

How exactly would that be enforced when you can check in a buck on your phone? I've been part of a club for a decade that has gross score antler restrictions and it's still very, very difficult to score live deer on the move. I say if a hunter wants to use one of his buck tags on a 3 inch spike, go for it and shouldn't be criticized if it's a legal deer.

And I say the same. But as far as online check in goes, who knows what is checked in and as what?

Mike Belt

I truly believe our deer numbers are down where I hunt so it makes perfectly good sense to throw an extra hunt in there.... if you happen to be a commissioner.

catman529

Deer can't see as good as turkeys. I've killed turkeys with no face mask so I sure ain't wearing one for the August deer hunt. Permethrin will be the #1 most important, followed by a good wind, and hopefully a patterned buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Winchester

Coker":1b72b6zd said:
Why does the TWRC exist if they are going to pull a stunt like this? If TWRA did not recommend or agree with the velvet Hunt, then why did the TWRC approve it? Aren't they supposed to be working as a team for the betterment of wildlife? Seems the biologist/TWRA knows more and are smatter but are out numbered/overruled quite often. That brings me back to my first question.........why does the TWRC exist? :bash: This is not the first idiotic thing they have done.
This reminds me of the change to a 2 buck limit, TWRA didn't ask for it or endorse it, BUT the TWRC was LOBBIED and they passed it!
And Catman is right I will take Permethrin over a facemask in August or September every time!

PillsburyDoughboy

Coker":29sbnn17 said:
Could care less about deer hunting in August in TN. This hunt makes absolutely no sense to me. But who am I to judge the TWRA :bash:

The more I have thought about it and consulted with some buds . Deer are in bachelor groups this time of the year . It might be the best chance ever to get a shot at that once in a lifetime buck that u would normally never get a crack at .

So yeah it makes perfect sense after reflecting on it . The velvet buck would just be a bonus but it's not my primary reason for doing it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mattmillard510

First Lite Merino.

Going to run the Aerowool stuff. Maybe even short sleeves. I generally wear a short sleeve shirt into the woods anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JCDEERMAN

Just a short sleeve shirt and light pants. I usually bring a frozen water bottle with me to drink in the early season. I may bring 2 and put one in each of my pants pockets to keep cool and to take a swig here and there. Though, I only plan on hunting the last 1.5 hours of light.

THEdonkey0515

I might make a trip to Academy & bass pro Saturday to look for a light camo shirt for cheap... I thought about buying a $5 olive green or dark color shirt from Wal-Mart and hacking the sleeves off of it..

knightrider

MUP":2et1ms2v said:
And I may be the very one to post a pic of the fuzzy 11 or maybe even a 13 or 14 :rotf:

Bone Collector

THEdonkey0515":2w320bfh said:
You guys doing anything special to your hunting gear for the hot Augest hunt?

I feel completely naked with out a face mask during bow for some reason always been that way... I think having my face covered in that Augest heat with anything may be to much. I started to grab some face paint today to try just on those two days I'll be going, but I don't know.

All my hunting boots are knee high or heavy, crossed my mind to just wear a pair of regular shoes?

I will be dressed the same as I would be for a opening weekend bow hunt. I have a hat that the face mask drops down like a curtain. So it is like wearing a hat without a face mask, but you get the coverage. I will be in long sleeves, pants, gloves, and will hunt the way I hunt opening weekend. Early AM, if i have a good AM spot, and late PM near a food source. It will be hot most likely in the PM walking in, but the AM shouldn't be much different than late Sept. temperature wise.

Latest posts