August hunt clothing.......

THEdonkey0515

You guys doing anything special to your hunting gear for the hot Augest hunt?

I feel completely naked with out a face mask during bow for some reason always been that way... I think having my face covered in that Augest heat with anything may be to much. I started to grab some face paint today to try just on those two days I'll be going, but I don't know.

All my hunting boots are knee high or heavy, crossed my mind to just wear a pair of regular shoes?

reloadxx

2-Step Enabled
I will be in a light pair of boots just in case for snakes but will not wear face mask I painted my face last year and loved it over a mask. I will be in the lightest clothes I can find thought about shorts with panty hose.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Matador

Wear t shirt, shorts and tennis shoes covered with a light weight leafy suit or Ghille suit. Been looking on Amazon and they make some light items. I ordered a light weight leafy poncho style shirt (not water proof ). It was about $10 and has head opening and arm openings. Think I'm going to wear it if I go. May still be too hot.

Andy S.

Lightest breathable clothes I own (no cotton, only wicking synthetics such as polyester, spandex, etc), treated well with Permethrin. I always wear a face mask bow hunting and turkey hunting, regardless of time of year.

THEdonkey0515

Yeah I always use a facemask turkey & during bow as well..... Not big on the face paint just thought it would be a little better to use in Augest then a regular facemask.

I got snake guards that just snap around my legs over the top of my boots with that are easy to take on & off was thinking I would use those with regular shoes and take them off at the bottom of the stand.

I've looked at Amazon as well for some light weight clothing...

THEdonkey0515

Coker":139a2oqm said:
Could care less about deer hunting in August in TN. This hunt makes absolutely no sense to me. But who am I to judge the TWRA :bash:
Agree

I was not for the hunt at all, may not even go counting on what the weather does.

But since it passed, & I'm already off Saturdays, & Sunday's I might try to give it a shot saturday morning. If it's horrible I will probaby wait to September to go again.

This is not a hunt I can't wait to go on or would use work vacation to go on.

rem270

Our Ky season always opens first weekend of September so that same heat that you guys will face in August I've been facing all my life. I used to wear a mask and it got unbearable some. Then I tried face paint and hated it. So now I just hunt high, stay covered good and wear no face mask. Heck a lot of times I only wear a short sleeve shirt.

rem270

Coker":2kbzsqg3 said:
Could care less about deer hunting in August in TN. This hunt makes absolutely no sense to me. But who am I to judge the TWRA :bash:

Then stay home :).. And a lot of times the temps are the same at the end of September as they were in August.

It makes no sense to me that rifle season is open 60 days or however long it is but that's the regulations and gives folks opportunities to be outdoors and I'm good with that.

THEdonkey0515

rem270":1j273vnl said:
Our Ky season always opens first weekend of September so that same heat that you guys will face in August I've been facing all my life. I used to wear a mask and it got unbearable some. Then I tried face paint and hated it. So now I just hunt high, stay covered good and wear no face mask. Heck a lot of times I only wear a short sleeve shirt.
Well I'll be hunting a tripod at the edge of a field can't go higher in a tripod.

I'm gonna try and go up this weekend, & camo it well with some camo burlap netting and a fake green xmas tree I'll cut the limbs off and ziptie them on the tripod to bush me in lol works well.

I have always worn a facemask in bow just something that is in my head, I've had many many deer 15-25 yards from me in gun setting on ground with no facemask and they never notice me untill it's to late.

Me and dad was bow hunting a field once big field him on one end me on the other a good long ways from each other..he did not have a facemask on when he got up in his latter stand his white face stood out all the way across that field badly might as well been shining a spotlight.

I text him asked if he could see me (had face coverd) nope...

Take facemask off... o yeah I can see you...

Deer didn't seem to mind he killed in that spot that year with out a facemask, still amazed me how far I could see him just because he didn't have something over his face.

bloodtrailing

THEdonkey0515":3il2g122 said:
Coker":3il2g122 said:
Agree

I was not for the hunt at all, may not even go counting on what the weather does.

But since it passed, & I'm already off Saturdays, & Sunday's I might try to give it a shot saturday morning. If it's horrible I will probaby wait to September to go again.

So you were against the hunt, but you are planning to participate? Hmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THEdonkey0515

bloodtrailing":12w4q0aa said:
THEdonkey0515":12w4q0aa said:
Coker":12w4q0aa said:
Agree

So you were against the hunt, but you are planning to participate? Hmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was not against it really

I just could care less if it passed or not was not for the hunt in anyaway....like I stated, I'm not excited about it like I am the rest of the season, and I would not use work vacation to go..

And yes I was not for the hunt in anyway, but will probaby go set in the stand once maybe twice outta those 3 days...dont see what the big deal is lol

Don't really care for Wal-Mart's still end up there every now and then....

Don't really care or like camo face paint still I might use it on the Augest hunt....

Don't care for Japanese food still end up eating it time to time cause of the wife..

Don't care or really like bass fishing, but if a buddy wants to take me im not gonna fight him....

Don't like or really care for today's country music.... yet I still catch myself listening to a song or two every now & then

Don't care or was for this Augest hunt still may go lol...

Coker

rem270":1a1fiopa said:
Coker":1a1fiopa said:

Then stay home :).. And a lot of times the temps are the same at the end of September as they were in August.

It makes no sense to me that rifle season is open 60 days or however long it is but that's the regulations and gives folks opportunities to be outdoors and I'm good with that.
I will stay at home. Don't have the desire at all to hunt deer in August. If you need a opportunity to get outdoors, then go squirrel hunting.
Don't understand why we are having an antlered only August hunt......just to satisfy the "velvet" craving of some folks? Or, is it just a marketing strategy to get more out of state/in state hunters to buy a license (generate more money). Whatever the reason, it makes no sense to me. Oh well, it will be interesting to see the numbers after the 2 day hunt.

AT Hiker

Coker":3vs49ust said:
I will stay at home. Don't have the desire at all to hunt deer in August. If you need a opportunity to get outdoors, then go squirrel hunting.
Don't understand why we are having an antlered only August hunt......just to satisfy the "velvet" craving of some folks? Or, is it just a marketing strategy to get more out of state/in state hunters to buy a license (generate more money). Whatever the reason, it makes no sense to me. Oh well, it will be interesting to see the numbers after the 2 day hunt.

The hunt for sure has cons with the most obvious being its a "trophy" hunt.

TheLBLman

Andy S.":3nfy2fzi said:
Coker":3nfy2fzi said:
But who am I to judge the TWRA :bash:
Hmmmm.........why would you bash TWRA? They did not propose or endorse the velvet hunt?
Andy is correct.
TWRA had nothing to do with this ----- it was a purely political move by the political appointees (Commissioners).
TWRA would have allowed for public discussion of all the pros & cons.
Again, the TWRA biologists did not request this, did not want this,
in part because it projects an image of "trophy-only" hunting to a general voting public of non-hunters

It was a very bad move in general for our "image", as well as catering to a very small sub-set of archery hunters,
at the expense of most other deer hunters. No matter how it gets rationalized, that's still going to be the bottom line.

Don't understand why we are having an antlered only August hunt......just to satisfy the "velvet" craving of some folks?
There was at least one commissioner wanting it.

Or, is it just a marketing strategy to get more out of state/in state hunters to buy a license (generate more money).
As they say, "follow the money".
For sure TWRA could use more money.
Maybe a commissioner also wants to lease his land to non-residents as well?

It's not that the velvet opportunity is necessarily a horrible idea,
but the way it was so quickly pushed into law was a horrible way of doing it,
basically without vetting of the pros & cons by the very hunters most negatively effected:
Tennessee's average RESIDENT hunter who will not participate in this.

Perhaps, Joe Average Hunter would have preferred something different INSTEAD?

TheLBLman

Any of us should feel free to pursue a "trophy" buck, unabashedly,
but this summertime "velvet trophy" opportunity is very different from what neighboring KY did.

In KY, they simply open archery deer season on September 1st (either-sex hunting),
which does allow opportunity to take a velvet buck.
But the KY opportunity also allows the opportunity to take "any" deer,
unlike the "buck only" summer hunt now in TN.

If what has been created in TN is so good (from regulatory, deer management, hunter management, and image perspectives)
why wasn't this opportunity made available on public lands?

Way I see it, just another unnecessary divisive issue pitting one group of hunters against another,
while damaging the image of all hunters among non-hunters.

MUP

I'm kinda surprised that the commission didn't slap some antler restrictions on this velveteen buck hunt actually. I can just hear the bemoaning of some regular Joe hunter when he proclaims be got his velvet buck, a good ol 11 pt. ;)

Latest posts