arrowhead hunting?

OldHunter

WTM said:
is it still illegal to hunt arrowheads in tennessee?
It's illegal on many State and Federal properties and it is illegal to excavate on most properties. However you can legally pick up surface finds.

OldHunter

WTM said:
so, if i find some points along the tn river banks and shores, would that be legal? or would that be tva land and be illegal?
Yes and Yes as far as I know, just don't dig.
(unless your on your own property) then dig to China if you want to.

stik

WTM said:
so, if i find some points along the tn river banks and shores, would that be legal? or would that be tva land and be illegal?

there are places on TVA land where you cannot pick up ANY indian artifacts. there are signs posted all over the upper end of tellico lake.

Physiksgeek

As with anything......perspective means a lot. You and I may have one perspective and feel one way, but the perspective (and ultimately the political clout) of the Five Civilized Tribes (Choctaw, Chickasaw, Cherokee, Creek and Seminole) obviously runs contrary. Which has led to the enactment of the Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act of 1990 -(NAGPRA is the Federal law). Not saying it is right or wrong....just saying that in the simplest terms....it is always about perspective.

No disrespect meant but when you say "You would think this would preserve history..." it does kind of brush over the unfortunate fact that a large percentage of people could care less about preserving the history and would only be concerned with the profit. I believe the statement itself is accurate when I think about the fact that most high profile archeological discoveries I have read or heard about have been made initially by the amateur archeologist!

I'll take this time to make a shameless plug for the local amateur archeological organizations in everyone's area. There are several upsides to these groups but to name a few -
1. It will help you in keeping up with local, state and federal laws concerning amateur archeology. You can get sideways pretty quick and before you know it your lawyer is now on speed dial.
2. Just like with union's, civic groups, churches, Democrats, Republicans....there is strength in numbers.
3. Like anything else....if you have taken the time to participate in a group, to be active in a common cause....it shows commitment. If you do not think that is important please refer back to #1.
4. Also...we all know that by charging a fee to join a club it tends to weed out the bottom feeders.....be honest...remember Ladies Night...How many did not go because of the cover charge...lol!

Anyways, the state code is below

Tennessee State Law said:
Code Book: Tennessee Code
Citation: �11- 6-105
Section Title: Archeology: excavation of state lands--permits--unauthorized excavation--penalty

Summary:

(a) Reserves for the state the exclusive right and privilege of field archeology on sites owned or controlled by the state, its agencies, departments, institutions and commissions in order to protect and preserve archeological and scientific information, matter and artifacts. (b) Requires that such information and artifacts recovered from state lands shall be used solely for scientific or public educational purposes and shall remain the property of the state unless the state archeologist and the Archeological Advisory Council shall conclude that some artifacts do not merit retention. (c) Prohibits any person or organization, including other state agencies, from excavating upon any site situated on lands owned or controlled by the state or any agency thereof, unless acting as a duly authorized agent of the Division of Archeology. (d) Authorizes the state archeologist to grant permits and contracts for archeological exploration or excavation for such periods of time and under such terms and conditions as the state archeologist may determine. (e) Declares that all artifacts, photographs and records obtained by such agents shall remain the property of the state, subject to the decision of the state archeologist and the advisory council, and shall be maintained in agreed upon public repositories. (f) Declares that a person, corporation, society or organization conducting archeological explorations or excavations upon lands owned or controlled by the state or an agency of the state without having first obtained a permit from the state archeologist commits a Class A misdemeanor, except that a violation occurring on a site listed in the Tennessee Register of Archeological Sites where the commercial or archeological value of the artifact involved and the cost of restoration or repair of such archeological site or artifact exceeds the sum of $5,000 is a Class E felony. (g) Requires all artifacts excavated by such persons or organizations to be forfeited to the state and delivered to the Division of Archeology.

WTM

thanks for the info guys. i used to pick them up with my step dad after a day of fishing. we used to find them after high water at saltilo on the banks and around old mussel piles. then after i got out of the Army and came back home, i asked why he didnt pick up points anymore. he said they outlawed it on the river banks.

just wondering if that law was still on the books. so does TVA own all the land on the river banks of the Tennessee, or just in the areas of the ky lake and around powerplants.

Physiksgeek

WTM said:
so does TVA own all the land on the river banks of the Tennessee, or just in the areas of the ky lake and around powerplants.

Several years back TVA tried to shuck a lot of their non-power generation responsibilities. To me that would be a "maintaining navigable waterways" responsibility but since they (TVA) have a direct interest in water levels, reservoir capacities, etc...maybe...dunno really but I think they would still own that one.....If not it would be the Corp of Engineers for sure.

DBLAARCHERY

Thanks for the info...I was just curious...We have some traces on our property and we have found some in town...The trail of tears came through our town...Don't know if that is where the arrowheads came from or not but its cool to find them on the ball field...

stik

WTM said:
so does TVA own all the land on the river banks of the Tennessee, or just in the areas of the ky lake and around powerplants.

TVA owns alot of land around their reservoirs. but not all of it.

Latest posts