Food Plots Army Worms

JhnDeereMan

2-Step Enabled
Guys keep a close eye on your plots. There is a pretty widespread outbreak of army worms across the state and in some cases they are not responding to insecticides.
They are especially aggressive on younger plants.
They are the kind of pest that once you see minor damage you are already a week late in spraying.

JCDEERMAN

I had a friend earlier this week that had his yard full of sod destroyed in 2 days. Before pic was dark green and a pic 2 days later was completely brown. Some nasty suckers. This was in Hamilton County

megalomaniac

Crap, I need to check my azaleas here in MS.. I have over 200 in my yard. Have small outbreaks usually in Aug, but once had a huge outbreak and they stripped 25 bushes completely bare before I noticed I had a problem.

JhnDeereMan

2-Step Enabled
Well the army worms are showing up in southern Montgomery County. This paper sample was from shaking 2 stalks of sugar graze yesterday evening.

We sprayed warrior and carbaryl this morning so most of the damage was minimized but I can't stress enough to keep an eye on your food plots right now. These critters are everywhere.

Attachments

• CEC69E06-8672-4E10-9E25-4575A470BA52.jpeg
    CEC69E06-8672-4E10-9E25-4575A470BA52.jpeg
    149.4 KB · Views: 132

JCDEERMAN

Well the army worms are showing up in southern Montgomery County. This paper sample was from shaking 2 stalks of sugar graze yesterday evening.

We sprayed warrior and carbaryl this morning so most of the damage was minimized but I can't stress enough to keep an eye on your food plots right now. These critters are everywhere.
Do you know how do these things pop up? Where do they come from? Are there areas where they are more prevalent than others?

JhnDeereMan

2-Step Enabled
They are typically going to get on the most lush green and tender plants available in an area which is why food plots are so susceptible right now.
One of their favorites is young winter wheat.

bowhunterfanatic

I've got one brassica plot already planted. I've been losing sleep at night worrying about those little devils. They dang near ate all the bermuda in my yard before I could get it sprayed. I check the plot last night and so far so good but it's just now really sprouting so I'm afraid as it gets a little bigger they'll show up and kill it.

tellico4x4

Sprayed daughters & my yard today, all Bermuda. They made the jump from lawn to garden last night. Tomatoes only thing I could find them on. Sprayed garden too....

Had to drive a few miles to daughters, went & came back two diff ways. Just as many brown lawns as green....

Going to camp tomorrow to inspect.

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
When I built my house a few years ago, they wiped out my new lawn in about three days.

Latest posts