Armadillo trapping

Kevo222

Short of killing grubs, looking for suggestions on bait for cage traps to catch an armadillo. It has started tearing up my wife's flower beds and have a few spots where it is digging in the yard. I'm in a neighborhood so can't go Caddyshack on him.

squirrel_hunter

Use something like 2x6's so make a funnel. Like a v put the trap bottom of the v. When it hits the side. It will follow the broad to the trap hopefully. Not alway i havent found a good bait. I watch to see if i can find there hole. A good strong 160 or 220 body trap over the hole. Will equal a dead armadillo. I have a air rifle that shoots 1250 fps. It works good on them. U mite get a runner. But he wont be back.

JCDEERMAN

Short of killing grubs, looking for suggestions on bait for cage traps to catch an armadillo. It has started tearing up my wife's flower beds and have a few spots where it is digging in the yard. I'm in a neighborhood so can't go Caddyshack on him.
That's a tough situation. If it were me, I'd be calling the neighbors letting them know the situation and that I plan on shooting it. This way they won't be surprised. My parents are in the same situation. I cut their grass, and have seen them turn a beautiful yard into crap. Never seen the armadillo(s) while over there though. We shoot them on the spot at our farm

SALTMAN

I use a driveway alarm set about 6 inches off the ground with the receiver on my Bedside table .you might not get him first night but he will be back . Last night it was abt 30 mins after midnight . Little lost sleep , but he won't return. Dont have neighbors to worry about . You can make a wooden trap and use the V to funnel them to it . Directions on iTunes . Was getting the material together to make one and got sidetracked by another project . Will maybe get back to it next week . Seems the critters are multiplying pretty fast .

Carlos

They're in Cumberland County TN, I've seen 2 or 3 ran over. (Also had one on my trail camera at Catoosa last week.)
I wonder if they'd ever live thru a less-mild winter than we've been having?

KTS

About the only thing that will catch them consistently is a wooden trap that has had a live armadillo in it to leave it's scent.
It will get better the more times you catch one in it.
I ordered one a few years ago from the Armadillo trap company com. they are really expensive now but you can build one. there is a picture on their website. I built one exactly like the one I ordered and transferred a live one from the trap I bought and left it in there for about a day and from then on it would catch them just as good as the original.

wildlifefarmer

i have armadillo traps for sale and im located in Waverly Tn very well made andwill last for many yrs 100.00 each
Be nice to see a pic of them! I have the worst luck making things square is the reason I haven't tried to make on myself. With a pic, you may have more interest than you want cause I'm interested!!

KTS

We moved from Henry County about four years ago to Dickson County. We were infested with them in Henry Co. I used the trap I described in my first post and really put a dent in them.
Since we moved haven't had any problems until this summer.
I drug out my old trap that hadn't been used for well over four years and after it sat for about three nights I have caught two in the last two nights. I can't believe it still had enough scent in it to catch one after all that time. They must have really good noses as they can smell worms and grubs several inches under the ground.

fairchaser

I had one digging in my yard and decided I was gonna shoot it with a 22. I flipped the light on and there it was. Ran and got the rifle and it was a long moving shot but I hit it and it ran under my shed. I thought it might die under there and create an awful smell. But after a few days, no smell so I set up a live trap where it went in. A couple days later it was in the trap and had a hole in its shell but seemingly no worse for wear. One to the back of the head and it was finished. That's how you get one the hard way. Funnel them into a trap.

Latest posts