Armadillo trapping

44 mag

Next time you kill one put it in a 5 gallon bucket with scrap pieces of wood in the bottom and put the lid on. Leave it for a day or two but take it all out before it starts stinking really bad lol. When you do this the pheromones and smell will be absorbed into the wood. Then you can catch them in a normal live trap. Same basic principle as the trap above.

This is what our animal control officer does with very good luck

woodyard

Next time you kill one put it in a 5 gallon bucket with scrap pieces of wood in the bottom and put the lid on. Leave it for a day or two but take it all out before it starts stinking really bad lol. When you do this the pheromones and smell will be absorbed into the wood. Then you can catch them in a normal live trap. Same basic principle as the trap above.

This is what our animal control officer does with very good luck
I am trying that with one I killed Thursday night. I know one thing that wood and bucket has got an odor. Put some of it three traps today after discarding the dillo. Hope it works ,because I have had no luck funneling in with boards. I have killed 4 or 5 at different hours of the night, usually about one per week. Running around at 1:30 or 4:00 am ain't no fun looking for the things. They have really worked on my newly reseeded lawn.

44 mag

I am trying that with one I killed Thursday night. I know one thing that wood and bucket has got an odor. Put some of it three traps today after discarding the dillo. Hope it works ,because I have had no luck funneling in with boards. I have killed 4 or 5 at different hours of the night, usually about one per week. Running around at 1:30 or 4:00 am ain't no fun looking for the things. They have really worked on my newly reseeded lawn.
I have not tried it personally but he says it works great. Good luck and keep us updated on the outcome.

mike243

Remember you can trap them but cant move them , they will have to be killed. that goes with any animal you trap. except the neighbors dog lol

woodyard

I have been hauling my traps to the back forty and stand them on end and shoot the devils in the trap. They thrash around for a while. I haven't seen any negatives about it this way , caught 7 or 8 since getting my traps scented. Had a septic tank guy over to do some work and we got to talking about them. He had a trap and had trapped a bunch. Said he would bring me a live one to scent my traps. Sure enough one morning he showed up and we transferred the dillo over to my trap. He said it would help with a shovel full of dirt threw in. I did that and let him stay in each trap about 10-12 hours. They work now. Trying the dead one in a bucket with some pieces of wood never worked for me.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
Short of killing grubs, looking for suggestions on bait for cage traps to catch an armadillo. It has started tearing up my wife's flower beds and have a few spots where it is digging in the yard. I'm in a neighborhood so can't go Caddyshack on him.
Go where ever bird food is sold. Dried meal worms will work. The scent in your trap will help catch any others.

KTS

I have been hauling my traps to the back forty and stand them on end and shoot the devils in the trap. They thrash around for a while. I haven't seen any negatives about it this way , caught 7 or 8 since getting my traps scented. Had a septic tank guy over to do some work and we got to talking about them. He had a trap and had trapped a bunch. Said he would bring me a live one to scent my traps. Sure enough one morning he showed up and we transferred the dillo over to my trap. He said it would help with a shovel full of dirt threw in. I did that and let him stay in each trap about 10-12 hours. They work now. Trying the dead one in a bucket with some pieces of wood never worked
I just transfer them into a wire cage trap and then shoot them. Easy to clean up with a hose and saves the wood trap from any damage.

KTS

Don't know but Jantz knifemakers supply has armadillo knife scales for $45 a set. Don't know how many you could get from one but I bet a big one could make several sets. :)

hgcox

I have been hauling my traps to the back forty and stand them on end and shoot the devils in the trap. They thrash around for a while. I haven't seen any negatives about it this way , caught 7 or 8 since getting my traps scented. Had a septic tank guy over to do some work and we got to talking about them. He had a trap and had trapped a bunch. Said he would bring me a live one to scent my traps. Sure enough one morning he showed up and we transferred the dillo over to my trap. He said it would help with a shovel full of dirt threw in. I did that and let him stay in each trap about 10-12 hours. They work now. Trying the dead one in a bucket with some pieces of wood never worked for me.
i agree thats exactly the way i dispose of them does not effect the trap whatsoever

Latest posts