AR optic question

Tenntrapper

I'm looking for an optic for an AR. Not looking for anything fancy or high dollar....it's going on an entry level rifle.
AR optics aren't something I'm familiar with...just never got into ARs.
Kinda looking for something that could be used for self defense...inside house, but could also be used to plink/hunt with.
I need some suggestions please.
I found this deal over at PSA. Seems like a good deal, but I'm not familiar with this optic, or if this is even what I should be looking for.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

DaveTN

Are you trying to decide on a red dot over a standard scope?

I have red dots on range handguns (Vortex Venom & Burris Fastfire III) and a home defense AR (EoTech).

I wouldn't put a Red Dot on a hunting rifle because I personally can't shoot as accurately as I can with a scope. It may not be on when you need it. You may lose it in the sun.

Bottom line is I would suggest if you only have one hunting rifle you stick with a scope. If you have more than one and want to play, try them all.

You will have to decide between....
Holographic vs. Reflex
MOA Dot size
Dot color
Auto ON/Off
Brightness adjustment
Battery change without removing sight?

Jcalder

The holosun and sig Romeo are basically the same with different branding. Both have shake awake and something I prefer so you don't have to fumble with buttons when it really matters. I'm not sure there's something that covers both hunting and home defense, but if I wanted both I'd get an lpvo in a 1-8 and keep it on 1 in the house.

TNRifleman

I have tried red dots and am not a huge fan. The Sig that @Jcalder mentioned is fantastic as the shake awake feature is really nice. I had a Romeo 4H that was a great red dot, I just wanted some magnification. I've settled on a LPVO on mine now and iron sites only in another.
IMG_0471.jpeg

JCDEERMAN

I have one on each. A scope for one and a reflex on the other for close quarters. The reflex is fairly accurate out to 40-50 yards or so. Deadly within 10–50 feet

PillsburyDoughboy

LPVO are all the rage and for good reason.

Red dots and electronic scopes have a very limited and specialized utility . Highlighted in special forces and LE and especially useful when working with night gear.

Some LPVO have illuminates reticles which meets the sweet spot. If the batteries fail you have the Optic as a back up. Some people.tend to over think it by putting back up sights but if you train enough on the platform the scope tube can be used as a huge ghost ring in the event the optic fails and you can use other point shoot and brace techniques to shoot in the event of optic failure.

Mattt

I wasn't impressed with the Romeo. Not a very robust unit imo. Wouldn't bet my life on it. The vxr patrol has held up well. Guess I've had it 6-7 years at least.

lafn96

I'd either go with an LPVO like others have mentioned, or could also go with a red dot with a magnifier that flips to the side. I like having magnification on my AR's to shoot easily and more accurately at longer ranges. I have an LPVO on my 5.56; and an EOTech with a 3x magnifier on my 300 BO.

PillsburyDoughboy

I'd either go with an LPVO like others have mentioned, or could also go with a red dot with a magnifier that flips to the side. I like having magnification on my AR's to shoot easily and more accurately at longer ranges. I have an LPVO on my 5.56; and an EOTech with a 3x magnifier on my 300 BO.
Never been a fan of anything that flips when it comes to optics. I know they work. Ive seen them in action. But when the engine light is on and you are moving in a dynamic situation I really can't say there would be time for flipping around or messing around with them.

Latest posts