AR caliber for deer hunting

rthayes

What's yalls opinion on best overall caliber for a deer hunting rig in AR? Considering the 6.8, 300 blk out, and possibly 6.5 grendal. Any other calibers that I should consider.? Want a 24 inch barrel I think.

DaveB

I think the 300 Blackout although you will see the 6.5 as a big favorite.

You do not need the long barrel. You can go down to 18 or 20 no problem at all.

Same story as always, shot placement is what counts.

rthayes

Aquaholic":1tzgpo1g said:
308 ... Why do you want a 24" barrel?

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
. I would probably be happier with a 20 inch barrel over the 24. The 308 would be most available ammo out there and I already reload for 308. Thanks

Aquaholic

Only thing you get out of a longer barrel is a few more feet per second ... I'm ringing 8" steel at 400 yards with a 16" barrel

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

wirenut

6.8 spc. 18 - 20 " is plenty long enough . My son hunts with a 20" Match Grade Machine 6.8 spc barrel on a prohunter frame . Excellent round for deer.

Plateau Hunter

If you are talking AR 15 then 6.8 SPC or 6.5 Grendel is the way to go as they are commonly available commercial rounds that will get the job done. I'm not fond of the blackout as it is a niche specialty round.

Bucket

infoman jr.":2rruduo5 said:
For AR15, I'd choose a 16 or 18" Grendel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interested as to why. After hunting with a 6.8 the last 2 years I'm wanting to build another hunting AR. I suppose the addiction has begun.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

markwondi

2-Step Enabled
Bucket":2emm5cjw said:
infoman jr.":2emm5cjw said:
For AR15, I'd choose a 16 or 18" Grendel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Interested as to why. After hunting with a 6.8 the last 2 years I'm wanting to build another hunting AR. I suppose the addiction has begun.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Excellent bullets available with better BC for bucking wind.

Excellent brass available as well.

LY

18" barrel only because it makes it a little easier to get the end of the barrel out of the hunting blind without having to stretch out as far. Otherwise 16" is plenty, the extra fps you'll get from anything longer won't make a difference till you get out beyond 350 yards. The same goes for the 6.5 Grendal, it only surpasses the 6.8 in the 400 yd range and beyond.

My advise is to do some internet searches, there's some good charts comparing the 6.5g vs the 6.8. Hint - the 6.8 actually does better within 300 yds. Also, if your building the upper check out http://ar15performance.com/home for your barrel. You'll see them routinely mentioned as ARP on various ar forum sites as some of the best barrels for the money out there.

Also, if you don't reload go to your local shops and see which caliber has the most ammo readily available. Unless you'll be shooting past 400 yards the deer won't care which caliber you chose.

Latest posts