Anyone hunt with a SX3 ?

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I sold my Browning Silver last year and now the only semi automatic shotgun I have is my SX3.
Just wondering if anyone has ever turkey hunted with one.
If so, what choke / shell combo did you have good results from?

Oh and by the way it has a 28" barrel.

ZachMarkus

I had the SXP, the pump version of that gun. It was a turkey killer! I wish I hadn't got rid of it. I was shooting hevi shot hevi 13's # 5's through a Indian creek haymaker choke. Awesome pattern at 40 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SKFOOTER

They are basically the same gun, Ruger. So I would think that whatever choke and load you shot in the Silver would at least be a starting point with the SX3.

Dover_Mike

2-Step Enabled
I have had had a SX3 26" since 07. Killed a few birds with it using a Gobblin thunder and Hevi 13 5 or 6 shot. But, it was primarily a duck gun. This year I am turning it into a turkey gun, had it all re dipped in bottomlands and ordered a 24" barrel and a Jebs .655 and it is absolutely nasty on paper with Longbeard 4 or 5.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
SKFOOTER":3r86ws7f said:
They are basically the same gun, Ruger. So I would think that whatever choke and load you shot in the Silver would at least be a starting point with the SX3.

Absolutely true.
Bad part is I tried 3 different chokes and I don't even know how many different shells with my Silver and honestly I was very very disappointed in it.
I killed several birds with it but I missed or lost a few and that is something I NEVER had happen with the ole rattletrap 835. :D

TNReb

Unfortunately not all guns of the same make/model are identical. What works well in one person's SX3 might not pattern well in yours. Finding the right choke/shot combo takes a lot of testing.

Gad Father

Primos Jelly Head Max .670 Longbeard XR 3.5 #5 229 pellets in a 10" circle 40 yards. Longest bird killed last year was laser verified with a witness at 66 yards. Found 21 pieces of shot from the head to the feather line.

X-Tennessean

Gad Father":27tzngsa said:
Primos Jelly Head Max .670 Longbeard XR 3.5 #5 229 pellets in a 10" circle 40 yards. Longest bird killed last year was laser verified with a witness at 66 yards. Found 21 pieces of shot from the head to the feather line.

^^^^This
But I am shooting Nitro straight 7s

Go to Final Flight with your gun, they have several chokes you can shoot/try and buy shells by the piece and targets.

Midnight rider

I have the semi auto with an indian creek choke and 26 in barrel. I use #4 winchester doubleX. Have killed about 10 turkeys with it in 3 years. 2 at 60plus yards. Absolutely love this set up.

Latest posts