Anyone having trouble with Rage

Big J

this year?? Seems like I am seeing nothing but good reports as far as performance. Aside of the price they seem to be cleaning up out there!

Radar

Arch-N said:
Radar, why do you like the Slick Tricks better?
Because the blades are stronger and can be re-sharpened , and replacement blades are easier to find if needed .
I also like the increased penetration , and they fly the same as Rage heads . Shot placement is everything when it comes to good blood trails , and some guys are looking for a big hole to make up the difference .
One thing to take in consideration with Slick Tricks is the increased blade angle that stretches the hide out when penetrating , creating a bigger hole than the diameter of the head called the Splash effect .
Rage heads are the best mechanical heads made in my opinion , they just aren't for me . I like Slick Tricks for the above reasons .
I will not start a debate on Slick Tricks vs. Rage heads .

bowriter

R.I.P.
The reports I have been getting from around the country have been mixed. About 70% rave about Rage. The other 30% are not too happy.

I suspect they are just about like any other broadhead, great with a good, not so great with a bad one. Seems to me to just be this year's greatest head.

Buckblaster

R.I.P.
Radar said:
One thing to take in consideration with Slick Tricks is the increased blade angle that stretches the hide out when penetrating , creating a bigger hole than the diameter of the head called the Splash effect .

You aint kidding. The doe I shot with my magnums quartering had a 2 inch hole that looked like a huge 4 leaf clover.

bowriter

R.I.P.
The deer I shot few days ago had holes as big as any I have seen with any other head. I was shooting NAP Spitfires. Then when I split the tree with one and the head remained intact, I became a real believer.

forum-11.jpg

But as I said, lots of good heads out there. Not a one will make up for a bad shot.

LCU

I know a guy who has bow hunted Africa twice,and shoots a Mathews bow with NAP Spitfires. He buys them at Wal-Mart.
Can't make up for a bad shot,but they must do the job or he would not hunt with them.

Big J

Radar said:
Arch-N said:
Radar, why do you like the Slick Tricks better?
Because the blades are stronger and can be re-sharpened , and replacement blades are easier to find if needed .
I also like the increased penetration , and they fly the same as Rage heads . Shot placement is everything when it comes to good blood trails , and some guys are looking for a big hole to make up the difference .
Rage heads are the best mechanical heads made in my opinion , they just aren't for me . I like Slick Tricks for the above reasons .
I will not start a debate on Slick Tricks vs. Rage heads .

No debate needed. I like tricks and have worked the ATA show for them for 2 years!! Gary makes a great head. I may put some on my arrows for next weekend.

1bow4me

Shot a doe this past weekend with the rage two blade, she was slightly quartering away, hit the 2-3rd rib and watched as the arrow hit and then flew sideways and slapped her in the neck. I could find no blood trail what so ever. I went the next morning and eventually found her on the ridge, A little to late, about 1:00pm. I will never use mechanical broadheads again. I went back to my G5 Montecs that night!!!!!

Arch-N

Great info Radar... I did not know the " Splash effect". I go on quite a few paid hunts and most outfitters won't let you use expandables. I read all your posts and respect your opinion. I've been using Montec G5's and like them real well.....always looking for any inprovement possible. If I spent more time shooting instead of reading these posts might be a better way to go.....you think??? lol

Thanks again for the info.

Arch

upatree

I have used alot of heads over the years, Never have i seen such a hole in a deer as the one i shot this year with the 3 blade rage. Im HOOKED!!!

Coach

We had a problem with the Rage...the practice broadhead shot fine when practicing but the broadhead itself shot low. Probably a stiffer arrow would have helped but just the same I switched him back to Muzzy's..

tiecampdeerslayer

Mine shoot great and this morning I took a doe at 28 yds. I must have pulled my shot a little low and a little forward as I hit the deer in low in the shoulder but the rage did its job and my deer expired about 10 yds from the base of my tree.. What a hole..... A friend of mine also killed a doe this morning with the rage and was pleased with its performance also...

Boone 58

i posted a photo of a doe i killed today with the rage 2 blade on the pics and trail cams section....devastating results but i have not tried the slick tricks.

JeepKuntry

I haven't used them, but from seeing pics of the aftermath, I'd choose another broadhead. I saw quite a few pics on archerytalk of the broadhead being bent beyond further use. I think theres quality BH's on the market that are cheaper, and just as effective.

Latest posts