Any old timers remembers …..

BSK

I remember smelling it everywhere in the woods. At least you knew when you were getting close to another hunter!

TheLBLman

Yes. Tex Isbell's "the real deal" skunk scent.
And it was more potent than anything before or since.

So strong, stores just had to stop selling it.
Even before mixing the two vials, it was strong skunk scent.

And hunters who used it wouldn't be allowed to come back home.

It was indeed some seriously potent skunk scent.

Omega

Back then I was just rubbing my boots in a scrape on the way in, no other scents just kept the wind in my face. Wasn't until I was stationed at Ft Bragg that I started stand hunting and looking for scents. Started soaking pine needles in alcohol or boiling acorns. Finally found commercial racoon scent which worked pretty good for me, at least I was always successful in getting deer so it may have worked or not. I did run into that stuff once, but after having to wash my god parents Saint Bernard after getting sprayed as a kid, there is no way I would try it.

backyardtndeer

I believe some skunk cover scent was still being used in the 90's. I can recall seeing skunk cover scent when I very first started hunting. I never tried it though.

KTS

Ha, ha I remember taking that stuff and dousing a rag I had put in the A.C. duct over the control room at work.
I sauntered back in a little while later and it would almost knock you down. It virtually evacuated the control room except for the ones that couldn't leave.
I sure got a lot of cussings even though no one knew I did it for sure. :D

TheLBLman

Remember it getting used on the manifold of grooms car at wedding. Don't remember who the jerk was that did it though 😬
I resemble that :D
I had a neighbor call TWRA about "the skunk problem", the skunks were overtaking the neighborhood, what can we do. It was just my hunting boots sitting out on the porch. Finally just threw them away.

OldFart

I remember it from the early to mid 1980s. Some I was mixing in our office got into the air distribution system. People two halls over and way down were complaining. I told them a skunk must be under the building. Another day I mixed some and put it on some paper towels, I could think of no better place than the trash can of our ornery OIC. He never did figure out who did it, actually never found where we put it. Oh well, he shouldn't have been such an example of the human anatomy of a place that rarely sees the sun!

Rackseeker

I don't remember the 2 part skunk scent but remember the skunk scent that came in the glass bottle. Back in the early to mid 80s we would go and camp alot during deer season. Back then we tent camped. My Dad always got on to me for using skunk scent. Well one trip I was walking back to camp from hunting that mornings hunt and had a bottle of that scent in my army fatigue pants pocket. I would always have it wrapped in a bread plastic bag. I fell down and broke the bottle and got that skunk scent all over my pants and myself. My Dad made me sleep outside the last two nights and cussed me the whole ride home in our old jeep. Thats the last time I used skunk scent.

fatboy

Dont remember having to mix vials. I used Indian buck lure. One time I
Put some on my boots then walked in. Two beagles struck the scent and run right up to me. Only time it worked