Another morning in defeat

93civEJ1

Got out here to my spot before daylight. This morning had one gobbling on the roost. Then I heard a hen in the distance getting ready for fly down due to the cackle. I cackled down and made it know. Of my presence. I heard the boy fly down. He was gobbling his head off. I hit him with a yelp a few times and got him to respond back. He went out into the field a few mins after two hens. He was still interested and put on a show for me. He stayed about 60 to 70 yards out and strutted and gobbled. He was interested in my call. He never would close the distance I think because he had two in sight and me sounding good but he couldn't see. Eventually he trotted away with the other two. This is one morning I wish I would have sit out a decoy. Now I'm sad and the world is quiet again. This went on for about 45 mins it seems.

93civEJ1

I didnt have a silent morning, it was actually pretty opposite of yesterday. No gobble at all yesterday. This morning he gobbled all the way from roost til the time he got out of my site. I couldnt get up to move in front of the direction he was coming because of the layout of the land. He and the 2 hens were headed down toward the back of a subdivision toward some houses etc.

catman529

I wouldn't be sad, at least you got to watch turkeys do their thing all morning. If you can hunt later then maybe you will find that bird or another one gobbling later in the morning and try to call him in

jlmustain

Were you able to hunt till noon or more? I'm no expert. In fact, I'm not even beyond novice (I've only killed one bird), but as I understand it, in that situation, you may have luck after those hens go to roost.

catman529

jlmustain said:
Were you able to hunt till noon or more? I'm no expert. In fact, I'm not even beyond novice (I've only killed one bird), but as I understand it, in that situation, you may have luck after those hens go to roost.
I killed 3 of them after noon. #1 came alone in the woods at 11:00 am, #2 alone in woods right at sunset, #3 in a field with hens after 1pm, #4 alone in the woods at 3pm.