Annual "Start your Corned Venison" Reminder

TAFKAP

This will be the first year in many that we won't have corned venison on 3/17. We didn't shoot a deer last year, so I don't have any whole muscle roasts to brine.

But that doens't mean you can't do it! You have about 3 days before it starts to get too late. Prep your brine this weekend, and you'll be able to enjoy some delicious corned venison on St. Paddy's day.

TAFKAP

Here's a previous thread about it.

There isn't much of a "recipe" so much as a standard procedure. Total weight of (meat + brining water) = your total calculation basis. Use a kitchen scale and work in grams (not pounds/ounces)

2% of total weight is your salt content
1.5% of total weight is your brown sugar content
0.25% of total weight is pink curing salt content (sodium nitrite)

I use a whole head of garlic, roughly chopped, 1 bay leaf per pound of meat, and 1-2 tablespoons of pickling seasoning per pound of meat. Bring the water to a boil, add all the ingredients, then let it chill overnight. Submerge your meat and let it brine for a minimum of 5 days, and up to 10 days.

Once you're ready to cook, simmer with stock of your choice ( i like 50/50 beef & chicken stocks). Don't boil it, but simmer, maybe over about 1" of chopped cabbage. Use about 2 tablespoons of pickling spices in the simmering liquid.

Latest posts