AND.......

Dbllunger

BSK said:
Deerbuster1996 said:
...I hope you get the feeling of deer season fever BSK.

I don't think I'll get that feeling again after 35 years of opening mornings, but I'm going to get to watch my daughter go through it. This will be her first deer season ever (Juvenile hunt), and it should be fun to watch.

Watching your child kill their first deer is about as good as it gets in life. I have been able to enjoy it with both my sons and it is one of the most exciting things you will ever witness. Good luck to her.

Deerbuster1996

BSK said:
Deerbuster1996 said:

I don't think I'll get that feeling again after 35 years of opening mornings, but I'm going to get to watch my daughter go through it. This will be her first deer season ever (Juvenile hunt), and it should be fun to watch.
I still remember almost every hunt with my dad and all his stories of hunting while sitting in the stand

BSK

Dbllunger said:
BSK said:
Deerbuster1996 said:

Watching your child kill their first deer is about as good as it gets in life. I have been able to enjoy it with both my sons and it is one of the most exciting things you will ever witness. Good luck to her.

I'm just hoping she's as lucky as I was when I first started deer hunting. This is a picture from opening morning of gun season on my first deer hunt when I was 16 (and yes, that's a double-barreled shotgun). Took me 15 years to top that buck:

Winchester

Dbllunger said:
BSK said:
Deerbuster1996 said:

I couldn't agree more!! Hunting with my Boys and my Dad have kept hunting simply awesome for me!!! :cool: Good luck with the kids hope they kill a monster!!!!

JGreg

I love opening morning. I always stay up trying to remember the very important thing that I'm forgetting and then sleep past alarm and get to my stand late to realize I forgot my release or my bow in the truck. Love being prepared.

BSK

Urban_Hunter said:
BSK!!! You took your camo off and got blood on your jeans!!! :wink:

The funny thing is, that is exactly what I was wearing that morning. It was below freezing and I was wearing a pair of jeans (no longjohns), a wool shirt, and a down vest. That's it. Modern fabrics and clothing technology have been one of the greatest improvements in hunting in my lifetime.

Mike Belt

I suppose it's a combination of getting older, having killed a bunch of deer, and having seen quite a few deer seasons come and go. That waking up 3 hours early just doesn't happen any more and I have no problem going to sleep the night before season opens. As the season progresses and the rut draws near and the scraping begins in earnest that fire starts getting hotter.

BSK...You hit the nail on the head about the clothing improvements. Jeans, a flannel shirt, an a pair of Fruit of the Looms. Boots weren't worth a nickel for warmth and keeping your feet dry. I can remember literally pulling frozen jeans off and standing them up inside my truck and then the next morning sliding out of my sleeping bag and having to lay down to put my frozen jeans back on. Those were the days, lol.

backroads

I'm pretty excited about Saturday and what follows. Unlike some of you guys who have lived in this fine state most of their lives, we have lived here for 10 months. Up until then I made a career of the military and a defense contractor after that. We've have moved every 3 or 4 years for 30+ years. Heck even now I spend two weeks of every month in DC. But, now we own a little piece of paradise and Saturday will be the first time for me to hunt it. I'll get to hunt Saturday and I hope I get to connect with something. And 9:00 AM Sunday back to DC for a week. So Saturday I hope I get to respond to the inevitable "how'd you do" post. I can't wait!

MUP

stevepitts said:
I'm pretty excited about Saturday and what follows. Unlike some of you guys who have lived in this fine state most of their lives, we have lived here for 10 months. Up until then I made a career of the military and a defense contractor after that. We've have moved every 3 or 4 years for 30+ years. Heck even now I spend two weeks of every month in DC. But, now we own a little piece of paradise and Saturday will be the first time for me to hunt it. I'll get to hunt Saturday and I hope I get to connect with something. And 9:00 AM Sunday back to DC for a week. So Saturday I hope I get to respond to the inevitable "how'd you do" post. I can't wait!

Hammer down Steve, go get'em! ;)

BSK

Mike Belt said:
BSK...You hit the nail on the head about the clothing improvements. Jeans, a flannel shirt, an a pair of Fruit of the Looms. Boots weren't worth a nickel for warmth and keeping your feet dry. I can remember literally pulling frozen jeans off and standing them up inside my truck and then the next morning sliding out of my sleeping bag and having to lay down to put my frozen jeans back on. Those were the days, lol.

I've been trying to describe to my daughter what deer hunting was like in "the old days" without sounding like "I walked 5 miles to school every day, uphill both ways." I don't think she believes me when I tell her we usually hunted, even on below freezing mornings, in nothing but jeans, and sometimes an addition layer of cotton long-johns. And with that limited of clothing, entering the first and even sometimes the second stage of hypothermia was a daily occurrence. We really didn't think much about it. We thought that was the price you paid for deer hunting. I remember many, many mornings when I was in my stand (a few 2x4s nailed into a tree) shivering violently, not being able to work my hands properly, and even struggling to be able to speak because I had lost the motor control for my facial muscles. I remember praying for sunrise and a little sunlight on my body so the shivering would stop. I remember some mornings in the low 20s when I couldn't take it anymore and would shakily climb down from my stand and do jumping jacks on the ground trying to create some warmth.

And we would do that morning after morning. Dang we were hardcore back then! Now, if I feel even the slightest chill, I realize I didn't wear enough of the right clothes. If someone would have told me back then that clothes would be invented that would keep you so warm in your stand that your biggest problem would be comfortably drifting off into a snooze, I wouldn't have believed them for a second.

Outdoor Enthusiast

BSK said:
Mike Belt said:

I've been trying to describe to my daughter what deer hunting was like in "the old days" without sounding like "I walked 5 miles to school every day, uphill both ways." I don't think she believes me when I tell her we usually hunted, even on below freezing mornings, in nothing but jeans, and sometimes an addition layer of cotton long-johns. And with that limited of clothing, entering the first and even sometimes the second stage of hypothermia was a daily occurrence. We really didn't think much about it. We thought that was the price you paid for deer hunting. I remember many, many mornings when I was in my stand (a few 2x4s nailed into a tree) shivering violently, not being able to work my hands properly, and even struggling to be able to speak because I had lost the motor control for my facial muscles. I remember praying for sunrise and a little sunlight on my body so the shivering would stop. I remember some mornings in the low 20s when I couldn't take it anymore and would shakily climb down from my stand and do jumping jacks on the ground trying to create some warmth.

And we would do that morning after morning. Dang we were hardcore back then! Now, if I feel even the slightest chill, I realize I didn't wear enough of the right clothes. If someone would have told me back then that clothes would be invented that would keep you so warm in your stand that your biggest problem would be comfortably drifting off into a snooze, I wouldn't have believed them for a second.

I did the same and I have only been hunting about 15 years. Young and dumb.