from the same shelter the dovetail came from
080326042224.jpg

and my 2 year old nephew looking for one in a bucket, lol
080326023826.jpg

my total for today
080326042316.jpg

muskyhunter

gohunt those are some nice points!

stovepipe, i wish they were Cached but they are not. they are way to far apart. i did find a cache several years ago, 14 lecroys in between two rocks in an area about the size of a softball, a friend of mine found twenty one cache blades 4 to 6 inches long coverd in red ochre in a place about the size of a five gallon bucket.

ill take some pics of a couple shelters tomorrow when i get in from work. most of the shelters are facing eastward or south, the sandstone ones will have blackened celings from the fires. the depth will vary greatly, some have deep black dirt several feet deep. some will have yellow dirt only a few inches deep. up here on the plateau the main thing to look for is flint, none here naturally.

muskyhunter

steven stone said:
Wow those are nice. I used to do alittle diggin on my uncles place in Mt Helen but its been pretty well dug out by people trespassing now.

i didnt know you had an uncle down here, who is he?

PickettSFHunter

muskyhunter, its Royal Jones, he owns the land where my Grandma and Great Uncles and Aunts grew up on. He doesnt live there, just owns the land that they all grew up on. Its not far down in there where you are, its up before you get to Chesnut Ridge Rd.

muskyhunter

steven stone said:
muskyhunter, its Royal Jones, he owns the land where my Grandma and Great Uncles and Aunts grew up on. He doesnt live there, just owns the land that they all grew up on. Its not far down in there where you are, its up before you get to Chesnut Ridge Rd.

ok, i ask my daughter this morning and she told me that also. i always thought that the brooks owned that, guess you find out something new every day.

Chris Tripp

stovepipe said:
wonder what the explanation is for them being left there. Cached maybe?

More than likely a hunting camp site for a small band of hunters, note the archaic blades he has found, Pine Trees, Kirks, and Dovetails, the Woodland period you would see more utilitarian tools for use in agriculture. BTW... I am working on your pictures tonight.

Chris Tripp

muskyhunter said:
gohunt those are some nice points!

stovepipe, i wish they were Cached but they are not. they are way to far apart. i did find a cache several years ago, 14 lecroys in between two rocks in an area about the size of a softball, a friend of mine found twenty one cache blades 4 to 6 inches long coverd in red ochre in a place about the size of a five gallon bucket.

ill take some pics of a couple shelters tomorrow when i get in from work. most of the shelters are facing eastward or south, the sandstone ones will have blackened celings from the fires. the depth will vary greatly, some have deep black dirt several feet deep. some will have yellow dirt only a few inches deep. up here on the plateau the main thing to look for is flint, none here naturally.

I agree, you won't find many in Tennessee facing North or West, due to the wind and fronts. The exception being that there is a cave system with or near water.

Latest posts