And he never hesitated!

Crow Terminator

Fishing is one of those things where you can make it as simple or complicated as you like...and as cheap or expensive as you like. I was reminded the other day just how big of pockets some guys have for this hobby/sport vs me. I went to a better known fishing Electronics store the other afternoon to upgrade to a larger 12" screen for my boat. I was looking at the new stuff....those 22" screens are sweet!! The guy ahead of me was there to pick up his boat from an electronics install. I didn't know who the guy was but his total was $21,000 and he never hesitated or batted an eye...was excited and paid like it was nothing. If I heard right, he had them install 6 new graphs on his boat...3 at the console and I assume 3 up front. There I was, fretting over buying a single 12" unit without transducer lol. I wish I had that kinda play money!

Rabbitkil

Fishing is one of those things where you can make it as simple or complicated as you like...and as cheap or expensive as you like. I was reminded the other day just how big of pockets some guys have for this hobby/sport vs me. I went to a better known fishing Electronics store the other afternoon to upgrade to a larger 12" screen for my boat. I was looking at the new stuff....those 22" screens are sweet!! The guy ahead of me was there to pick up his boat from an electronics install. I didn't know who the guy was but his total was $21,000 and he never hesitated or batted an eye...was excited and paid like it was nothing. If I heard right, he had them install 6 new graphs on his boat...3 at the console and I assume 3 up front. There I was, fretting over buying a single 12" unit without transducer lol. I wish I had that kinda play money!
I know a guy like that, he has a 16x36 shed that the 3 walls is setup like a store with hooks from floor to ceiling full of baits and the 4th wall and the center of the room has racks of rods and reels

redblood

Thats why i bought a used boat, already set up. He paid as much for his electronics as i paid for a 2 yr old boat already set up with 4 graphs.

bluball

We had one customer we installed 5 graphs,livescope,mega 360,garmin trolling motor,stero and speakers,train horn,led lighting on deck and in compartments,6ga wiring harnesses,visualizer,custom bow mount for 3 graphs,custom console mount for 2 graphs, new dash panel and added 3 gauges,changed all toggle switches at console to led push button switches,2 oxygenators in the llivewell,new aerator pump,new battery trays with lithium batteries,power pole charge,moved power pole pumps wiring etc.I know I'm forgetting something,it was a long job.
Bow graphs
Garmin 8612,garmin 126,solix 15

Console graphs
2 solix 12's

scn

I heard a tale this week along those lines that according to the guide that told it was 100% true.

In the poling skiff/flats boat world, Chittum Skiffs are the most expensive. They are some of the lightest on the water with sports car type performance. And, the company prices them like a sports car. They are all custom built for one customer, and most of their models now start north of 100 grand. There is about an 18 month wait time for a build after a significant up front payment.

So, anyway, a guy from south FL orders their most expensive model with all of the bells and whistles. He tells them that he will have the motor put on. When his build is finished with the boat on the trailer, he gets his call to come pick it up. When he gets there and does his fit and finish examination, he then turns to the shop manager and tells him that he wants them to cut it lengthwise right down the middle. Without prior discussions with Chittum, he had ordered it to be mounted as a bar in his south FL house. And, Chittum did it for him. I suspect some of the shop guys that had done the nasty building work weren't real happy.

That is serious FU money.

redblood

We had one customer we installed 5 graphs,livescope,mega 360,garmin trolling motor,stero and speakers,train horn,led lighting on deck and in compartments,6ga wiring harnesses,visualizer,custom bow mount for 3 graphs,custom console mount for 2 graphs, new dash panel and added 3 gauges,changed all toggle switches at console to led push button switches,2 oxygenators in the llivewell,new aerator pump,new battery trays with lithium batteries,power pole charge,moved power pole pumps wiring etc.I know I'm forgetting something,it was a long job.
Bow graphs
Garmin 8612,garmin 126,solix 15

Console graphs
2 solix 12's
Yep. And then i watch richard gene fill an igloo cooler with 14" crappie in a 20 year old aluminum boat with a 40 hp motor with a 300 depth finder.

bluball

Yep. And then i watch richard gene fill an igloo cooler with 14" crappie in a 20 year old aluminum boat with a 40 hp motor with a 300 depth finder.
Yep,but put him in a tournament with hayden jefferies and see who wins🤣This post is was about no hesitating to pay a big electronics bill🤣I consider myself sorta like richard gene,I could catch them way before livescope with little to no electronics.I actually turned off my livescope the first couple trips because I would spend too much time trying to catch fish that wouldn't bite.I would fish with livescope for 4/5 hours and only have 8/12 fish.Turn my livescope off and finish my limit in a hour.Any good fishermen can catch them without electronics no doubt.I know bad fishermen with the best electronics in the world and still can't catch them.We see them all come through the shop.We have some that buy livescope and we install it and come back complaining they still can't catch fish.We usually try to get them to book a on the water electronics trip with one of our guys to get better.

redblood

Yep,but put him in a tournament with hayden jefferies and see who wins🤣This post is was about no hesitating to pay a big electronics bill🤣I consider myself sorta like richard gene,I could catch them way before livescope with little to no electronics.I actually turned off my livescope the first couple trips because I would spend too much time trying to catch fish that wouldn't bite.I would fish with livescope for 4/5 hours and only have 8/12 fish.Turn my livescope off and finish my limit in a hour.Any good fishermen can catch them without electronics no doubt.I know bad fishermen with the best electronics in the world and still can't catch them.We see them all come through the shop.We have some that buy livescope and we install it and come back complaining they still can't catch fish.We usually try to get them to book a on the water electronics trip with one of our guys to get better.

I am stream smallmouth fisherman primarily and i will admit i sucked at crappie fishing without forward facing sonar. I had no background in crappie fishing at all. I need to know where they are. Now i cant sit there and watch it like i am playing xbox. I just want to see the pile, the depth and that is has fish. But Richard gene amaZes me. No idea who hayden is.

I fish for groceries not trophies anyway…

bluball

I am stream smallmouth fisherman primarily and i will admit i sucked at crappie fishing without forward facing sonar. I had no background in crappie fishing at all. I need to know where they are. Now i cant sit there and watch it like i am playing xbox. I just want to see the pile, the depth and that is has fish. But Richard gene amaZes me. No idea who hayden is.

I fish for groceries not trophies anyway…
I have fished for both groceries and trophies.I have carried lots of people fish that aren't able to fish.I even cleaned and froze them for them.I didn't have any crappie background either,but around 2008 or 2009 I said to myself I was gonna learn to catch crappie all yr long every month of the yr.It took me probably 3/4 yrs to accomplish my goal.Around 2014/2015 in a small tournament with 13 boats we came in 2nd place only weighing 2 fish.The winners yore them up and caught 56 keepers but you only weigh 7 fish.They were single poling and everyone else was trolling.When I got home I took all rod holders off my boat and only left 2 poles to fish with for one yr.By the end of the yr I was catching limits every trip,I had learned to single pole.Catching alot of fish has a lot to do to what lake you fish also.If you think richard gene is bad you should have saw the live fishing trips on Facebook rickies jigs use to put on.Dont think they are around anymore but there would be 2/3 of them in a old boat with no trolling motor using junk equipment when they first started.They would fish a couple lakes in Texas and catch 50-100 in no time live on facebook.

redblood

I have fished for both groceries and trophies.I have carried lots of people fish that aren't able to fish.I even cleaned and froze them for them.I didn't have any crappie background either,but around 2008 or 2009 I said to myself I was gonna learn to catch crappie all yr long every month of the yr.It took me probably 3/4 yrs to accomplish my goal.Around 2014/2015 in a small tournament with 13 boats we came in 2nd place only weighing 2 fish.The winners yore them up and caught 56 keepers but you only weigh 7 fish.They were single poling and everyone else was trolling.When I got home I took all rod holders off my boat and only left 2 poles to fish with for one yr.By the end of the yr I was catching limits every trip,I had learned to single pole.Catching alot of fish has a lot to do to what lake you fish also.If you think richard gene is bad you should have saw the live fishing trips on Facebook rickies jigs use to put on.Dont think they are around anymore but there would be 2/3 of them in a old boat with no trolling motor using junk equipment when they first started.They would fish a couple lakes in Texas and catch 50-100 in no time live on facebook.
What does single poling mean? I dont know the jargon. Is that the same thing as long poling?

bluball

What does single poling mean? I dont know the jargon. Is that the same thing as long poling?
One polling in your hand fishing straight down,some call it verticle jigging.I use to have a kitchen timer in my boat and set it to 2-3 minutes.Thats how long I would fish a bed,stump,structure,etc before I would move to the next one.With one pole you could cover way more water than a spider rigger, really efficient way to catch fish.Now with livescope its probably the best tactic to use to catch fish if you can do it accurately with livescope

Kevin Snook

How in the world did anyone ever catch a fish with only a Hummingbird flasher on the console?😆

killingtime 41

I'm sure livescope is awesome. But fish still can be caught with a 100 dollar Walmart special. Long as you find the shad and can stay with them. All the game species will be there. If not move and find another ball of shad. You will eventually get on whatever fish you choose. I would like to personally check out the livescope though.

redblood

We caught a cooler full of huge crappie in an hour or so and i can admit- i wouldnt have caught a one without my active target 2 system. I just didnt have the crappie fishing experience. I bought my boat in early june. I installed active target on july 4th. I caught exactly one 8" crappie in the month before installing it. Probably 300 since and lots of big ones. I really respect those guys who can fill the boat without it. I just didnt have the experience or the knowledge of these lakes to do it without.

However, i do think its important that we manage the resource now. We keep 12 (2 of us could keep 30) each trip. Also anything over 15" gets released. I have no doubt that forward facing sonar will continue to improve and put more stress on the resource.

Latest posts