American Croc in Tampa Bay Area

hammer33

Back in the 80's we were surfing at Bethune beach in FL. Looked over and saw a big log floating in the surf about 100 yds away. Little later it was still there, couldn't figure out why it hadn't washed ashore. Turned out to be about a 9ft gator. We figure it came over the dunes from Mosquito lagoon. Surf reports had him hanging around beach access # 4 for about 5 days then he disappeared.

FTG-05

That's an alligator.

Also, there are no saltwater crocs in the US. Only the American Crocodile which can live in saltwater.
Really?

"The habitat of the American crocodile consists largely of coastal areas.[4] It is also found in river systems, but tends to prefer salinity, resulting in the species congregating in brackish lakes, mangrove swamps, lagoons, cays, and small islands. Other crocodiles also have tolerance to saltwater due to salt glands underneath the tongue, but the American crocodile is the only species other than the saltwater crocodile to commonly live and thrive in saltwater.[5] They can be found on beaches and small island formations without any freshwater source, such as many cays and islets across the Caribbean. They are also found in hypersaline lakes; one of the largest known populations inhabits Lago Enriquillo in the Dominican Republic.[6]"​

Pilchard

Yes, really. The American Crocodile can live in the salt as I mentioned. But it's not a saltwater crocodile. The Saltwater Croc is a different species that lives in parts of Asia and Australia.

The critter in the video is an alligator. American Crocodiles northern most range is the Everglades. The video is from Tampa

SES

Yes, really. The American Crocodile can live in the salt as I mentioned. But it's not a saltwater crocodile. The Saltwater Croc is a different species that lives in parts of Asia and Australia.

The critter in the video is an alligator. American Crocodiles northern most range is the Everglades. The video is from Tampa
Zoom in. It's a croc. Pointed snout. One was seen in Tampa Bay a few years ago.

WTM

Adds pucker factor to wade fishing, no?
i always wanted to fish in cuba if they ever open it up. i dont think i want to anymore. i couldnt imagine a worse way of dying.

Pilchard

I'm not convinced it's a croc. But I guess it could be… I got a call from a buddy a couple years ago that he removed a croc from a Punta Gorda canal and that was the furthest north I had ever heard of one by more than 50 miles. One in Tampa seems extreme but their population has been growing for some time now.

Last edited:

Omega

Croc or gater, just
choot-em.jpeg

FLTENNHUNTER1

Definitely a croc. I lived in Tampa when they pulled one out of Lake Tarpon. I stand corrected on the salt water croc label, I just quoted the OP'er of the drone video. I know the guy who filmed it.

Pilchard

So, are these more dangerous to humans than a regular ole big alligator?
I don't think so. Others may have a different opinion. They are very shy and normally spook at the sound of a human's voice. That said, there are some big ones that are used to humans and hang out where they frequent. There are a couple places in the keys and a boat ramp in Flamingo where you can be within a few feet of them.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
Fla. is spending Billions $$ to save and restore coastlines. Brackish water is moving inland. I don't doubt it at all that a Croc was seen in Tampa. After flooding from 2 Hurricane's
Fla. will be a island some day and Tennessean's will be adding Fla. immigrants to the list of people ruining the neighborhoods and raising their taxes.

spoonie

Use to fish often in the backcountry out of key largo at night often. There was a massive croc/gator that lived in trout cove. He would hear a splash of a fish on my line and swim towards the boat. I would sometimes donate my catch to him. Sure wouldn't want to fall in the water next to him, seemed very aggressive. Never saw him in daylight although