Alternate Theory on "Gaminess"

BuckWild

I've been eating "wild" meat for almost 50 years. Squirrel ,rabbit, raccoon, deer...you name it. I can honestly say that I've never had the experience of "gamey" meat...not once. The only wild meat that I've had a problem with is goose. Except for speckle belly, any goose I've ever tried to eat just tasted like liver...I can't stand liver. It almost makes me sick if I smell it cooking. With that being said, I've often wondered if the "gamey" taste was a taste bud thing. I've never prepared any and fed it to people that didn't eat it and ask for more. Even the people that didn't like venison until AFTER I told them what they were eating. :D :D

TAFKAP

The first deer I ever shot was extremely gamey. It was late in the evening, and there was nobody that could teach me to field dress it. I took a whole deer to the processor. When it cooked, it smelled absolutely terrible. Tasted fine, but the gaminess was in the smell more than the taste.

After that, it hasn't been an issue. The smell can sometimes still be overwhelming, but I've never had an issue with taste. We will see what changes when I do my own butchering, as I'm planning to start doing soon.

BirdDog123

I ate the tenderloins of a big ol' rutty buck I shot a few days ago.. it sure didn't taste like that 2 1/2 year old doe I cooked up for my girlfriend but it sure as hell beats beef! :)

SuperX2

Great article with a tremendous and pointed message!

Americans eat so much processed food its a miracle we can taste anything that isn't loaded with sugar or sodium anymore...

catman529

I had just recently come to the same conclusion myself...

wild meat does not taste "gamey". it's the way meat is supposed to taste. We are the ones feeding them food they weren't meant to eat and watering them down for production, and we got used to that flavor, but it's not the way meat is supposed to taste

I have noticed the most "wild" taste perhaps in a dove. Deer and turkey are pretty good the way they are. I always trim the deer fat and silver skin though.

JimFromTN

I define gameyness as a strong pungent musky flavor. Most wild game has it. Wild boar and moose are the only wild animals I have eaten so far that don't have this. Preparing the meat and the method of cooking determines the strength of the gameyness in the meat. I try to prepare it so that it has minimal amount of gameyness. Believe it or not, but venison does have another flavor under all that gameynes thats actually quite delicious. Its not tasteless without the gameyness like some may try to lead you to believe. Some people love the gamey flavor and think its the way it is suppose to taste. More power to ya. Makes cooking it real simple. Had a guy once that told me he was disappointed that my venison was not gamey. He was from Arizona and had eaten wild horse and was hoping for a similar experience. Someone told my brother that he hung the deer until he could smell the sweatness. In other words, he wanted a tinge of rot to his meat before he ate it. I think thats a European thing. They like to let the game turn "sweet" before they eat it.

My problem is that I want others to eat the venison that I cook. I don't know how many people I have met who said they have eaten venison and will never put another bite in their mouth ever again. The reason these people have said that is because someone fed them gamey venison.

I guess our society has grown weak or perhaps lost its civility because we are growing away from gamey, rotting meats as well as offal and sweet breads.

Latest posts