All It Takes...

Mike Belt

...is a couple of seconds for that buck you'll really be proud to shoot to come over a rise or step out along the edge of a thicket. Deer movement has been slow to non existent around here so far and it's easy to get disgusted but I can't help but feel it's coming any day now... for me and a bunch of other hunters. Hang in there guys.

jcooper81

I'm ready to get up there Sunday and be on edge cause your right all its takes is one second for everything to change.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Treestand Troubadour

This year has been pretty discouraging to me. One of my go to spots is gettin logged, and where I'm on call for work I can't wander off too far til after noon. That being said I ain't even seen the first deer this year. I ain't no great hunter but I'd like to think I'm more than an Elmer. I average 2 deer a year on public land, but dang it's easy to get discouraged. I try to look at the positive though cause I've hunted more places closer to home and after doin some topo homework I found an awesome saddle. Checked it out and found 4 of the biggest scrapes I've ever seen, all were about 4' across. So that's just enough to keep my head up and my eyes on the prize.

TreyB

Yeah the place I hunt I am seeing does, saw a small spike Saturday evening with two does. Still haven't seen any big bucks with them. Found several scrapes and tons of rubs in the area.

PalsPal

You're right. Just have to be at the right place, but better is to be there at the right time.

The discouraging thing for me is all of the shots nearby. I even had three this morning (at different times), where you normally wouldn't expect there to be anyone hunting. It happens every year where we have pics of several deer (and bucks), then when the season begins, they disappear. I'm beginning to think we are being "corned" by the neighbors.

I have seen some chasing. Had a couple in Cumberland Cty last week, and one in Smith County Saturday morning, where three bucks were one the heels of one doe. One of the bucks came home with me.

bshurette

You just got to keep reminding yourself that it can all change in the blink of an eye. My son's buck came out at last light on the opening weekend of muzzle loader. We had one doe in the field and he stepped out with just minutes remaining before the hunt was over. I took off Monday and hunted a spot going after a tall 8 I had on camera and never saw a deer until 10:30 when another 8 pointer who was much better than the one I was after came out of nowhere and gave me a decent shot (I ran cameras all summer and never saw this buck). Its that time of the year when you just never know what will come your way. Hunt smart and put the time in and as mentioned earlier hope for a little luck!! I was this way two years ago and never saw a shooter buck all season. I have been greatly blessed the last two years to get decent, but not great, bucks. The best experience was being with my ten year old when he got his first "shooter buck".

Attachments

• IMG_16481.jpg
    IMG_16481.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 462
  • IMG_16751.jpg
    IMG_16751.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 463

Latest posts