Alabama turkey hunting

elknturkey

Seriously thinking about making a 10 day trip down to Alabama before the Tenn opener and am looking for some insight. Trying to stay in the northwest part as its closest. Choccolocco wma has my interest right now. Only wma I can find that allows all day hunting. Anyone ever been?

Boll Weevil

Happy New Year Cowman...good to see you back around the campfire.
Question: Are you seeing clubs down that way grow, shrink, or remain roughly the same? Adding members or going to fewer guns and higher dues per member?

Just curious,
bw

elknturkey

Thanks for the info fellows! Will do some researching. If the weather isn't crappy I'm deff heading down for the first 10 days.

N2deer

I got to thinking, Lauderdale doesn't open till April. I wasn't even thinking about you wanting to take advantage of a few early days.

elknturkey

N2deer":1u1f7g4v said:
I got to thinking, Lauderdale doesn't open till April. I wasn't even thinking about you wanting to take advantage of a few early days.
Yes I seen that but thanks for trying to help [emoji2]
ridgewalker":1u1f7g4v said:
Talladega NF
Talladega and choccolocco is what I have it narrowed down to now. Tons of room to roam and supposedly a good turkey population. My plan is to head down the Saturday before the opener. That will give me 2.5 days to scout. I'm torqued up about it!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

YEKRUT

That's a pretty good plan. Wear your walking shoes, take plenty of water and snacks and plan on staying with them all day.

elknturkey

Weather forecast has changed and it's looking better. I'm taking a tent but probably just sleep in my truck. May even backpack camp if I can find birds a few miles in. Seen on another forum that the birds were gobbling good down there yesterday morning

PickettSFHunter

elknturkey":30y5ldy2 said:
Weather forecast has changed and it's looking better. I'm taking a tent but probably just sleep in my truck. May even backpack camp if I can find birds a few miles in. Seen on another forum that the birds were gobbling good down there yesterday morning

are you camping? I'm looking at probably staying at Coleman Lake since I'll want a shower and such. It looks like Pine Glen isn't as nice. I'm going down the 13th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elknturkey

PickettSFHunter":36aqwcpq said:
elknturkey":36aqwcpq said:

are you camping? I'm looking at probably staying at Coleman Lake since I'll want a shower and such. It looks like Pine Glen isn't as nice. I'm going down the 13th.

Yes. Pine Glenn and Coleman are the 2 I am looking. Depending on the temps I can wash off in the mtn but will prob get a hotel one day to refresh. I'm heading down the 12th. Hope to leave at 5am and be there around noon. I started to go to Tuscaloosa as one of my best buds moved there last year and said he knows where several birds are but I would probably kill his wife around the second day [emoji2]. Is their a lot of thick ground cover or is it mostly hardwoods and pines? Can't tell on Google earth

PickettSFHunter

elknturkey":9oyttpgj said:
PickettSFHunter":9oyttpgj said:
elknturkey":9oyttpgj said:

Yes. Pine Glenn and Coleman are the 2 I am looking. Depending on the temps I can wash off in the mtn but will prob get a hotel one day to refresh. I'm heading down the 12th. Hope to leave at 5am and be there around noon. I started to go to Tuscaloosa as one of my best buds moved there last year and said he knows where several birds are but I would probably kill his wife around the second day [emoji2]. Is their a lot of thick ground cover or is it mostly hardwoods and pines? Can't tell on Google earth

I haven't been to that particular WMA before so I don't know. I have a call in with the Forest Service right now because I read somewhere that Coleman Lake may not open until the 15th, so I'm trying to confirm that. Coleman Lake is supposed to be pretty nice with showers and all.

elknturkey

Cowman71":fwnrszu2 said:
Going to hunt Tuskegee NF on my way back from Florida for the first three days and then was thinking of maybe trying Talladega NF. Are these camps there or on a WMA. I too am tent camping. Bathed in the creek last year at Tuskegee for 5 days. I don't mind it, but it sure would be nice to have access to a hot shower on Talladega
Those camps are pretty much dead center of the wma.

PickettSFHunter

elknturkey":3gxhtztt said:
Cowman71":3gxhtztt said:
Going to hunt Tuskegee NF on my way back from Florida for the first three days and then was thinking of maybe trying Talladega NF. Are these camps there or on a WMA. I too am tent camping. Bathed in the creek last year at Tuskegee for 5 days. I don't mind it, but it sure would be nice to have access to a hot shower on Talladega
Those camps are pretty much dead center of the wma.

. confirmed that Coleman lake doesn't open til the 15th, however Pine Glen is open now.

elknturkey

Really hope the weather prediction is right
5e10901ada4884f8b667c8e83bfc70e9.jpg

elknturkey

Yeah I know [emoji20] . Calling for up to 8" of snow here tonight so warmer temps will at least be welcomed [emoji2]

Latest posts