Age and Score? Biggest so far!

samcorn01

913A2F10-DC46-4B18-9C1C-21AC4F22A37B.jpeg
7F2CC43E-910D-4928-B82D-AB5D4B428413.jpeg
0B31C890-F110-4F8D-98F3-CF6DBAC13D61.jpeg

Ski

Yeah i think thats its. Velvet makes them look heavier and i dont think he has the tine kength to be 130. Great deer for sure.

Agreed. I don't see 130" but I'd shoot him in a heartbeat. If he were a 10 with adequately developed g4's you could add 10"+ to the score. But as an 8pt it's hard to overcome the lack of two tine measurements and fourth girth measurements that are half or less than what a same size 10pt would measure.

DoubleRidge

Agreed. I don't see 130" but I'd shoot him in a heartbeat. If he were a 10 with adequately developed g4's you could add 10"+ to the score. But as an 8pt it's hard to overcome the lack of two tine measurements and fourth girth measurements that are half or less than what a same size 10pt would measure.
He gets the fourth circumference measurement as an 8 point.....its taken half distance between G3 and tip of main beam.

DoubleRidge

He gets the fourth circumference measurement as an 8 point.....its taken half distance between G3 and tip of main beam.
Ski....after reading your post again I think I misunderstood..... your saying his forth circumference will be smaller than they likely would be if he were a 10 point....not that he doesnt get the forth circumference measurement.....I replied too quickly because its common for people to overlook the forth circumference measurements on an 8pt.

Ski

Ski....after reading your post again I think I misunderstood..... your saying his forth circumference will be smaller than they likely would be if he were a 10 point....not that he doesnt get the forth circumference measurement.....I replied too quickly because its common for people to overlook the forth circumference measurements on an 8pt.

That's correct. He still gets the fourth measurement but since there's no tine after it the antler is usually less than half the circumference as a measurement between two tines. The fist pic below is a 10pt. Notice the difference between the g3 and g4, and after the g4. After the last tine the antler drastically shrinks in diameter, so on an 8pt you are getting the fourth measurement on a very thin antler. The second pic is a 131" 8pt. The fourth measurement has to be taken half way between g3 and beam tip. Notice how much smaller it is than half way between g2 and g3.

Even for a rack with long tines, good mass throughout, and respectable spread he barely busts 130. 8 pointers just score bad. The 10pt in first pic measured just under 160 for comparison. The 8pt looks bigger or at least as big, but the numbers are way different.

Attachments

• 20230911_104253.jpg
    20230911_104253.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 20230911_104628.jpg
    20230911_104628.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 35

DoubleRidge

That's correct. He still gets the fourth measurement but since there's no tine after it the antler is usually less than half the circumference as a measurement between two tines. The fist pic below is a 10pt. Notice the difference between the g3 and g4, and after the g4. After the last tine the antler drastically shrinks in diameter, so on an 8pt you are getting the fourth measurement on a very thin antler. The second pic is a 131" 8pt. The fourth measurement has to be taken half way between g3 and beam tip. Notice how much smaller it is than half way between g2 and g3.

Even for a rack with long tines, good mass throughout, and respectable spread he barely busts 130. 8 pointers just score bad. The 10pt in first pic measured just under 160 for comparison. The 8pt looks bigger or at least as big, but the numbers are way different.
Agree...great examples on the topic.

Flintlocksforme

Nice one with a lot of visible antler on his head. Big mature body with a filled out neck and winter coat and few will get much bigger around my area. Yes there are exceptions of course but when they get that much antler and have to carry it for over 100 days of season they are generally going to be shot at by someone. Either from the road, crossing the wrong backyard or even taken legally. If he wants to make it he needs a good hiding place. Good luck

Latest posts