Afternoon heat.

Gwtaylor

How do you guys hunt in the afternoon heat?
Do you even go out?
Do deer move in afternoon heat?
If you do go and they are moving, where do you set up?

volsgo1

Get on the edge of a field preferably in an elvated hill over looking a field. Put a cooler full of ice cold beer beside you and glass for future trophy encounters.

double browtine

I havent hunted any evenings so far. Its gonna be 87in today. Even if i killed one in my yard, it would be hard to get it skinned quartered and in the frig before a million flies showed up and the meat spoiled. I did see 3 shooter bucks in a field by my house on monday evening at 615. Got me excited. All were over 130. Maybe they will pass thru when im hunting. Changed my mind about these hot afternoons.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
I have killed deer when it is hotter than this, but I do not like to on account of the meat spoilage and bugs (flies and yellow jackets). I went out yesterday afternoon, but I was sweating like crazy. I will go in the morning for a little while, but I'm gonna wait until things cool down a bit before trying the afternoons again.

Football Hunter

Gwtaylor said:
How do you guys hunt in the afternoon heat?
Do you even go out?
Do deer move in afternoon heat?
If you do go and they are moving, where do you set up?
1.Sit in the shade,plenty of cold drinks.
2.Yes
3.Yes
4.Depends on the situation,dont get in stand before a couple hours to dark.

woodsman87

EastTNHunter said:
I have killed deer when it is hotter than this, but I do not like to on account of the meat spoilage and bugs (flies and yellow jackets). I went out yesterday afternoon, but I was sweating like crazy. I will go in the morning for a little while, but I'm gonna wait until things cool down a bit before trying the afternoons again.

I agree. But from my experience with green flies and yellow jackets, that they are not really out at night. If you killed one 10 minutes before dark, it might be less trouble than killing one ten minutes after daylight.

StalkingWolf

You just get hot, sweat, and get bit by bugs. It depends on how much you want to be there. I don't care how hot it is, deer are moving somewhere. You just got to be where they are. If you do not have a walk in cooler or a processor nearby, then you have a job on your hands. That's just part of it. Now go wack one!

OOPS I meant go kill one! :)

easy45

I hunt but it is miserable but yesterday afternoon I set on the ground and had a 3 point close enough I could have poked it in the eye, I couldn't have experienced that sitting in the house and as far as the bugs go, thermacell

BSK

Man, I sweat through all my clothes out there working cameras today. Really humid too.

But I did see a few deer moving around.

catman529

I was dripping in sweat when I got set up about 2 hours ago. Cooled off some, but its still warm out. Wind is pretty good so fingers crossed. Waiting for that prime time

catman529

Literally right after my above post, had at least 2 deer come in on a trot from the right. Due to thick understory I only got a couple glimpses and then right before they would have been in front of me the footsteps stopped and they seemed to disappear. Just watching, listening and waiting now.

LanceS4803

It was 68 this morning at 0500, already sweating when I got up in the tree. Very humid.
Thought about heading out this afternoon until I saw the temp, 87.
I'll wait for afternoons until after the storm passes.

Latest posts