Advice for planting an attraction plot???

DeerSlayer

We are about to start our fall food plots. We haven't done them in a few years and I have forgotten what we used to use.

Because of the distance to our hunting property, we are usually forced to do the plots all on in a single day. This entails bushhogging the standing brush/grass, tilling the ground, and then planting the seed. We have had good luck in recent years, I just can't recall what we used.

I think we use to use an equal mixture of winter wheat, winter oats, and winter rye.

If we are mostly just trying to create some attraction food plots, do you think that is a good mixture? Do you think just Winter Rye and nothing else would do anything? If I wanted to add clover and maybe Rape, at what ratio would you recommend per acre? I have the guide from Craig Harper at UT, but the amount per acre seems so little. Then again, I don't know anything.

Thanks a bunch!

Paul

deerchaser007

The ratio's from the guide by Dr. Harper are correct. Most people think they just have to throw down more seed. Its usually a waste of money or if you plant a mix,. you usually kill out 1 or another of the different plants in the mix.

How's the ph level in those spots??

DeerSlayer

To be honest, we have never checked. This bottomland and the soil tends to be slightly loamy, but for the most part it is just really nice looking soil. In the past, the stuff we planted came in really really well.

deerchaser007

Your ph is probably low. With no lime and no fertilizer you will not get good results from most seeds.

If you look at my post you will see i recommend a mix just about every time i post. The reason for this is its just about fool prove. Great results as far as attraction and nutrition. And it tolerates a lower ph level. The plot i used it in this past year was a terrible 5.4 ,.. and i received great results. The mix is..
50 lbs winter wheat
5 lbs arrowleaf clover
15 lbs crimson clover
5 lbs dwarf essex rape
PER ACRE

For a awesome attraction plot i usually would recommend buck forage oats. This stuff is flawless indeed. BUT,.. it don't tolerate a lower ph.

Even if you don't add lime you really should add fertilizer at least!!!

If you ever do decide to get serious with the plots ,.. you should always do a soil test first and foremost. To have successful food plots,.. you have to have the soil in good shape to grow the forage and provide the nutrient to the plant.
You would be shocked at the difference between a 5.4 ph level and a 6.2 ph level for a food plot for wildlife. You can have very successful food plots with a ph range of 5.9 to 6.4. And it don't take alot to get it there if you don't have several acres to do.

Good luck.......

BSK

I would definitely drop the winter rye (as long as you've had good respults with wheat and oats in the past). Rye is great for extremely poor soil, but wheat and oats are more attractive if they will grow in that soil.

Deerchaser007's mix is a good one.

DeerSlayer

I really appreciate it. I saw that mix in the other post and posted a message there. I should have kept to this topic, sorry about that.

I wish we could get more serious. The biggest problems are:
*No tractor
*2 hours to our hunting property

We have to hire out the work and right now the going rate for someone with the right equipment is $60.00 an hour, which seems ridiculous to me, but what do I know.

We did mix in a good fertilizer one year and it did seem to make a difference.

Forgive my ignorance, but is there a type of lime that I can put out myself with a pull behind type of seed spreader? We have one that will hold about 50 pounds at a time and you can pull it with an ATV.

I bought a farm myself this year in Roane County and I am really really hoping to have my own equipment for next year, but you never know.

Thanks so much!

Paul

deerchaser007

Deerslayer,... yes you can buy lime in bags and its pelletized to make it easier to spread. Its more expensive to do this way,.. but for some of us,.. its the only way to raise the ph level. I have to use pelletized myself. You can pick it up at the co-op for about 3.60 a 40 lb bag.

Co-op don't like to sell dwarf essex rape except in a 50 lb bag. You can go to cooperseed.com or abseed.com and order it by the pound. If you don't like internet orders, their phone numbers are on their sites. Use the D.E. rape if at all possible in that mix. I garantee you will not be disappointed if you do.........

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask..

BSK

DeerSlayer wrote:
*No tractor

We have to hire out the work and right now the going rate for someone with the right equipment is $60.00 an hour, which seems ridiculous to me, but what do I know.

Hey, you're lucky. I have no tractor and every local farmer I tried to hire to work my plots took one look at the rocky soil and just laughed. I work 8 acres with ATV equipment and never get to turn the ground.

DeerSlayer

Thanks for such great advice. I do have one last question. Can I buy all those seeds and just mix them into one big mixture to put out, or do I have to put them out one at a time?

BSK, you need a tractor. But then again, so do I.

DeerSlayer

I just checked on those websites, and on COOPERSEEDS.COM it is called DWARF ESSEX RAPE KALE? Is that right? Looks like something humans should eat on salad. ha ha ha

thanks, paul

Greg .

deerchaser007 said:
You would be shocked at the difference between a 5.4 ph level and a 6.2 ph level for a food plot for wildlife.

Not me. Most folks need to remember that each 1 point in pH is a factor of 10 in acidity. That's 1/10 or 10x, depending on which way you're going.

deerchaser007

The wheat can be covered up to 1/2 to 1 inch. BUT,.. you do not want to cover the clover and rape no more than 1/4 inch. Usually what i do is sow my wheat or oats,.. lightly disc,.. then sow the clovers and rape together and lightly drag the plot with a peice of fence.

I've noticed cooperseed is only advertising it as Rape. There are several varieties of rape,.. but dwarf essex is the best. You don't want Kale. I'm not sure what the deal is on cooperseed,.. but if you call abseed they will sell you the dwarf essex rape.

On the rape,... if you see low usage early on ,. don't worry. You'll go in to hunt in december and they will be hammering it.

HOOK

NO...Rape Kale is different. You want Dwarf Essex.

The small seeds, clovers & rape can be broadcast all at the same time. Because the wheat is so large you will have to boradcast that seperately to insure an even spread.

TREETOPPER

deerchaser007 said:
If you look at my post you will see i recommend a mix just about every time i post. The reason for this is its just about fool prove. Great results as far as attraction and nutrition. And it tolerates a lower ph level. The plot i used it in this past year was a terrible 5.4 ,.. and i received great results. The mix is..
50 lbs winter wheat
5 lbs arrowleaf clover
15 lbs crimson clover
5 lbs dwarf essex rape
PER ACRE

waiting on soil test results but with the mix what fert. and how much per acre

David J

R.I.P.
I have been using something similar to deerchaser007
If you live in an area of high deer density is doesn't hurt to add an additional 25 pounds/acre of winter wheat. I also like to plant the DER down a strip in the middle of the plot with none of the other seeds mixed in. DER will usually require additional nitrogen around the first of November. My deer won't touch the DER until after it has had a good frost.

deerchaser007

Treetopper,..Your soil test should come with a fertilizer recommendation and how much lime to apply.

David J makes a good point,... i use 50 lbs of oats ,.. but i also plan on throwing in an additional 15 to 20 lbs of winter wheat this year because of lack of mast. Depending on how much reseeding i get from my buckwheat that is doing great though...

Latest posts