Advice for bluegill bank/ kayak fishing?

Appalachian American

I'm looking to fish in the headwaters of Cordell hull and usually only catch around 4-5 3.5" bluegill per trip. They're my favorite fish to eat but I'm not sure how to really get on 'em. I have a kayak but no fish finder so I fish with little to no understanding of bottom structure. I mainly use worms,2lb test, and a bobber.

Thanks in advance!
-AA

bigquacks

trees, structure, docks. Try crickets too. its a kayak it can go places other boats dream of.
And don't let people laugh about fishing out of a kayak. Just remember to take pictures.
below was from yesterday.

Attachments

• smallmouth.jpg
    smallmouth.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 619

Sako

I would also change it up a bit... I would also be throwing a Strike King Bitsy Minnow. It is a really small crankbait with treble hooks. I have caught a tone of bream on them...

WTM

the bigger gills will be in the deeper water of the larger creeks. in the winter up until now, they will be in the creek mouth channels or congregated at a dam lock. when the water temps move up to 50 they will move up into the bays looking for lakeflies/midges. they live off the larvae in winter. drop shot rigs with worms or gulp bloodworms are killer. blowdowns with jig and bobber are also good if the water temps are right.

from late april till june, concentrate out from the banks in 4-8ft of water in the backs of larger creeks. if youre catching smaller fish either go a little deeper or fish left or right of where you caught the small ones. the bigger gills will bed in the center of a nest site colony.

remember where you caught them because they will come back to the same nest locations year after year.

Latest posts