Adjusting POI on Shotgun

bvoss

I have a Mossberg 930 that Im using for turkey and will dove hunt with as well. When I shot it with just the bead. Pattern hit about 6 inches high and an inch or two to the right ( about 20 yards away). It did come with shims but I'm trying to figure out which ones to use to shim it to improve my fit. IM a fairly tall guy at 6'2. Not sure if that helps. Ive got a red dot on it for turkeys, but for dove, I want to improve the poi with just the bead.

jeff gra

If your seeing the rib of the gun you'll need to lower (shim)the stock to where you only see the bead. That will bring your poi down. You will never miss a dove because of that inch or 2 to the right just wipe that out of your memory. Sorry I couldn't be more help. you'll just have to try different shims to get you where you need to be.

REN

I have a Mossberg 930 that Im using for turkey and will dove hunt with as well. When I shot it with just the bead. Pattern hit about 6 inches high and an inch or two to the right ( about 20 yards away). It did come with shims but I'm trying to figure out which ones to use to shim it to improve my fit. IM a fairly tall guy at 6'2. Not sure if that helps. Ive got a red dot on it for turkeys, but for dove, I want to improve the poi with just the bead.

another easy option for high is add a BIGGER front bead like a Tom Knapp Champion bead. that will also lower your POI

Chaneylake

Most shotguns are designed to have a 60/40 pattern which means that 60% of pattern is above the centerline.
A good gunsmith can bend the barrel to change impact point.
The gunsmith will probably want at least 10 pattern targets, the exact yardage and shells that you are shooting.
This is not something new to a good gunsmith.

trap55555

2-Step Enabled
I will add that your rear sight (your eye) needs to be put in the same place (reliability) every time it is mounted. This is why you see a lot of adjustable stocks (or combs) and custom made stocks among competition shotgun shooters. The same is desired for our field guns.

Most manufactures build a "normal" stock that will fit a "normal" person. So "if" you are a "normal" person then their stock may fit you fine or be close. But most of us have something different about our body, longer/shorter arms, longer/shorter neck, bigger shoulders, etc.

Me, I have high cheek bones so when I get a good solid cheek weld to the stock I'm looking at the back of the receiver and I can't see the barrel/bead on some guns. So many times I have to raise the comb on the stock. Fortunately there are some slip on adjustable kits that I use and I don't have to spend the money or time to have a stock modified.

Sorry for the ramble, this is likely TMI.

Huntaholic

Im not advising doing this, but I had an 870 once that shot left or right, cant remember now. I took the barrel off, laid it between 2 soft pine 2x4s, and whacked the snot out of it with a sledge hammer! Believe it or not, I got lucky and that turned it into one of the best 3" turkey guns I ever shot. I ended up selling it a few years later, that 28" barrel was just too long to turkey hunt with.

Latest posts