A Weird First for Me

AlexDad

After trying another hangon (which I hate them) on opening day and dealing with that fiasco I went back to a saddle and apparently my fourth time was a charm and me and the saddle are friendly with each other. As a matter of fact I took a deer opening weekend and yesterday.

I don't shoot bucks just eat does and don't see many shootable bucks anyway. According to my camera I have a nice 8 pt basket buck on my property this year, but had never seen him in person until Saturday morning. When I got to my property about 4:50AM Saturday morning there were 6 doe at the gate. I drive up the gravel drive about 200 yards, park and then walk back maybe half a mile and set up in a tree. About sunrise those 6 doe made their way to me from my right. 9 doe came from my left and 3 from behind me. I was covered up but kinda locked up with so many eyes on me. LOL!

I sat and watched them eat and play and they all made their way off about 8:30ish. About 9:00 that bigger buck came in from my back left at my 7 o'clock and had two deer with him. I thought they were does. I had one broadside at 17 yds and I drew back and before pulling through the shot I noticed it was a spike, so I decided not to shoot it. So I'm holding about to let the bow down and my watch started beeping like crazy and they scattered. I had set an upper and lower threshold on my watch for my fat burning zone and my heart rate went above it and it started beeping like crazy letting me know. LOL!

I didn't realize deer got me that excited, guess I'll have to put that into sleep mode when hunting from now on. LOL!

BSK

I had set an upper and lower threshold on my watch for my fat burning zone and my heart rate went above it and it started beeping like crazy letting me know. LOL!
That's pretty funny!

I don't think the shooter often knows how excited they are. My daughter and I hunt together, and most of the time she's about to take a shot, I can hear her staggered breathing, and several times her adrenaline has had the entire stand vibrating!

Last edited:

Ski

So I'm holding about to let the bow down and my watch started beeping like crazy and they scattered. I had set an upper and lower threshold on my watch for my fat burning zone and my heart rate went above it and it started beeping like crazy letting me know. LOL!

I didn't realize deer got me that excited, guess I'll have to put that into sleep mode when hunting from now on. LOL!

Hahaha that's awesome! I've tried through the years to overcome that sudden heart jump but no luck. I suppose it's a predatory instinct that our bodies rush with adrenaline to prepare us for the kill. Funny how it only happens in the moment with animals I plan to kill. I can watch a big buck all day long cool as a cucumber, but as soon as it's time to grab for my bow I turn in to nervous wreck. If I ever lose it I'll quit hunting.

CharlieTN

Now that is certainly a unique way to get busted but I can understand your heart rate going through the roof.

As for the saddle thing, the trick with them is you have to give them a try, then try again, then keep trying. Little changes and suddenly they will click and you'll find that comfort you've been looking for. Glad it finally clicked for you. Way too many expect to go out once and be comfortable in a saddle and it just usually doesn't happen that way.

UCStandSitter

After trying another hangon (which I hate them) on opening day and dealing with that fiasco I went back to a saddle and apparently my fourth time was a charm and me and the saddle are friendly with each other. As a matter of fact I took a deer opening weekend and yesterday.

I don't shoot bucks just eat does and don't see many shootable bucks anyway. According to my camera I have a nice 8 pt basket buck on my property this year, but had never seen him in person until Saturday morning. When I got to my property about 4:50AM Saturday morning there were 6 doe at the gate. I drive up the gravel drive about 200 yards, park and then walk back maybe half a mile and set up in a tree. About sunrise those 6 doe made their way to me from my right. 9 doe came from my left and 3 from behind me. I was covered up but kinda locked up with so many eyes on me. LOL!

I sat and watched them eat and play and they all made their way off about 8:30ish. About 9:00 that bigger buck came in from my back left at my 7 o'clock and had two deer with him. I thought they were does. I had one broadside at 17 yds and I drew back and before pulling through the shot I noticed it was a spike, so I decided not to shoot it. So I'm holding about to let the bow down and my watch started beeping like crazy and they scattered. I had set an upper and lower threshold on my watch for my fat burning zone and my heart rate went above it and it started beeping like crazy letting me know. LOL!

Those heart rate alarms suck. I had a give a speech once and it went off as I began to speak which made my heart rate go even higher. I then figured out how to turn that "feature" off. If my heart rate is up, I already know it. I don't need my watch telling me. lol

Tough break bud

backyardtndeer

If I had it turned on, it would have gone off long ago. I get my heart rate pretty high on long runs, especially hill runs.
Doesn't work like that on Garmin, if you happen to have a Garmin watch. The Garmin heart rate feature looks at a consistent rate while you are not active and when your rate gets elevated above or below the threshold it will alarm. Mine is set to notify my wife through my phone when I have abnormal heart rate events, I have always stopped it from notifying her though.

JN

I quit wearing my watch as well because the notifications were distracting. Always telling me to stand up, take a breathe, mediate, go for a walk, count my fingers, take a piss. I mean it is like it thinks I don't know how to function as a human being.

AlexDad

I didn't realize my heart elevated when I was about to take a shot, I guess I knew it would bump a bit but didn't realize I got THAT excited.

Actually my heart rate wasn't technically that high, your fat burning zone is just below your aerobic zone and when I lift or ride my bike I try to keep it in that zone. Apparently my heart rate gets high enough to not lose weight while hunting.o_O

AlexDad

Now that is certainly a unique way to get busted but I can understand your heart rate going through the roof.

As for the saddle thing, the trick with them is you have to give them a try, then try again, then keep trying. Little changes and suddenly they will click and you'll find that comfort you've been looking for. Glad it finally clicked for you. Way too many expect to go out once and be comfortable in a saddle and it just usually doesn't happen that way.
So true. This is my fourth saddle, I started with a Hawk which wasn't bad but it did not have an adjustable bridge and I was miserable. Second was a Tethrd Phantom and 3rd was a Cruzr XC. To be fair the Tethrd would've been fine but I bought one when they first came out and were one size fits all. In the Cruzr XC I had a size 2 and that was fine.

The reason I sold all of my Cruzr gear and give up on saddles last year was basically the climbing sticks and platform. I'd asked for Hawk Helium sticks one year and my parents give them to me for Christmas, I get sentimental about things my parents bought me and then I lost both of them in 2022. I love a climber but my property is NOT climber friendly. I had the full length Hawks and I tried the buckle less method, amsteel daisy chain, rope mods, tarzan vines and sewing thread and could not get them to bite and every so often would have a kick out. Plus they were awkward to pack and heavy.

The Tethrd Predator platform, Hawk platform and the Cruzr Seeker platform would never bite well for me. I would cam it over and fool with it half the hunt but when I put my weight on it the tree bracket would separate from the tree and the strap was all that was holding me. So I was comfortable in the saddle, getting busted was reduced by at least 90% but I couldn't take a shot. Platform would shift, couldn't put side pressure on it and it did me no good to see 5000 deer if I couldn't take the shot. I could've went to a petting zoo and seen deer I couldn't shoot.

So I finally broke down and just boxed my Hawk sticks up and bought the Trophyline double minis at Archery Den, they're made by Novix and have the Lone Would stand off. Those things bit so well that when I unstrapped them they were still stuck to the tree. So I got the bright idea to give a hangon a try. I hate hangons but bought the lightest hangon Hawk makes. It started out 7#, then they said 9# but the box says 11# and they actually weigh 13.24#.

So Friday evening before opener I go prehang my stand. I bought Hawks hanging bracket to make it easier. Well, the hole in the stand didn't go over the bolt in the bracket it was made for and I had to hang it regular. 4:50AM opening morning I'm in the stand, sit there about 45 minutes and hear a bunch of high pitched pings, pangs and twangs. Couldn't figure out what it was. Sunrise comes and two doe come in but on my weak side. I slowly turn and hear all the twangs again and look down and the welds on the wire mesh welded to the platform are just snapping one by one.

Well that hunt is over. I climbed down and drove 48 miles to Franklin and bought a Trophyline platform and saddle. The platform has the Lone Wolf batwing and just bites into the tree. It's so rock solid it's like it grew out of the tree. Hunted that evening and went back Sunday evening and got one, then got one yesterday evening.

I guess I'm a full fledged saddle guy now.

Latest posts