A Unihorn! (Not a Unicorn, they don't exist)

Atchman2

I couldn't resist pulling the cards out of my camera. Honestly I think seeing what is around is almost as thrilling as the hunt sometimes.

Today though I saw the UGLIEST deer I've ever seen. It is a UNIHORN and not even a normal looking one. It looks almost mutated.

I've seen one with just a spike on one side before. But I've never seen one with such a messed up rack. A friend of mine harvested his first buck there, it had only one straight spike about 6" long.

All these deer seem to be under nourished. Most of them you can see their ribs. If we don't harvest enough of them to reduce the herd, I think the landowners are going to have to get their depredation permit again.

Shed Hunter

Uniantler if you must be so specific :)

That is generally not an issue developed from poor herd health. What you are seeing on this deer is the result of an injury whether it be to the pedicle or body. Seeing the ribs in summer is fairly common.

Is there a solution? I doubt it. I see at least one a year like him in my favorite area. The main cause is fighting or rubbing too aggressively.

Latest posts