Food Plots 9th Inning Swing

JCDEERMAN

Looks like we got about 1.4-1.6". That's just awesome, as long as they aren't dead yet. They were close. Hope they bolt. Have another almost 5 acres to plant maybe Friday if more rain comes sat-sun as they're predicting. Or at least plant in the damp soil for a jumpstart then, and hope for rain next week

JCDEERMAN

With freezing temps the next few nights am concerned about the freshly sprouted wheat that was top sown last week. Noticed yesterday that it was just starting to attach root to soil. 2022 just keeps giving....
Same here. We have quite a bit of cereal rye planted, so I'm hoping at least that will survive and keep growing

JCDEERMAN

I will stick to being an optimist. Even with a couple near freezes the next couple nights, with it warming up soon afterwards (up into the mid-upper 70's late week and going into next week), I think we'll be just fine. But I still want more rain!!!

DoubleRidge

Looks good for a week from Tuesday/Wednesday.

Hoping next week's rain shows up...was out of town last weekend camping with the boys at church....so this Saturday we're planning to top sow all the cereal rye and winter wheat...700lb total on around 7 acres...plots we had previously sprayed and are currently brown....sowing, mowing and waiting on rain....with temps warming up a bit I'm hoping it will time out right.

BSK

With freezing temps the next few nights am concerned about the freshly sprouted wheat that was top sown last week. Noticed yesterday that it was just starting to attach root to soil. 2022 just keeps giving....
Thankfully, up in my hills it only dropped to 32.5 last night. In the adjacent bottomlands it was 24.8 degrees.

348Winchester

We have gotten so little rain that few of the seeds have sprouted. I'm going to over seed with rye again (3rd time) this coming Monday and hope for rain. There is some being forecast for Tues/Wed.

Another problem is leaves covering my plots. I've never experienced enough leaf fall this early to keep the seeds from growing. If I blow the leaves I'll blow away the seed as well. Damnation it's a tough year!

BSK

We have gotten so little rain that few of the seeds have sprouted. I'm going to over seed with rye again (3rd time) this coming Monday and hope for rain. There is some being forecast for Tues/Wed.

Another problem is leaves covering my plots. I've never experienced enough leaf fall this early to keep the seeds from growing. If I blow the leaves I'll blow away the seed as well. Damnation it's a tough year!
The models have shifted that rain from Wednesday morning to Tuesday morning, coming in before first light.

Going to check tomorrow to see if I got any germination from the last rain.

tellico4x4

Still got some overseeding & fertilizer to spread. It'll be a late night for me Monday as can't get to camp until late afternoon then.Crows & turkeys are enjoying my last overseeing efforts, a little germination taking place though.However deer are eating it about as fast as it comes up. Have never seen as much plot usage this early in 20 years. Afraid it's going to be one for the books...

Was 26 here this morning but warmed up quick & very minimal frost. Hopefully the seedlings I have left didn't get whacked

BSK

Still got some overseeding & fertilizer to spread. It'll be a late night for me Monday as can't get to camp until late afternoon then.Crows & turkeys are enjoying my last overseeing efforts, a little germination taking place though.However deer are eating it about as fast as it comes up. Have never seen as much plot usage this early in 20 years. Afraid it's going to be one for the books...

Was 26 here this morning but warmed up quick & very minimal frost. Hopefully the seedlings I have left didn't get whacked
I'm lucky. Up in my hill country temps were only 32.5 yesterday and 32.9 this morning. No hard freeze.

Crazy thing is, 10 miles away at Bethpage in the Hurricane Creek bottoms I saw a temp of 22.1 degrees. Yowza, that's a hard freeze!

Latest posts