Food Plots 9th Inning Swing

muddyboots

Still got some overseeding & fertilizer to spread. It'll be a late night for me Monday as can't get to camp until late afternoon then.Crows & turkeys are enjoying my last overseeing efforts, a little germination taking place though.However deer are eating it about as fast as it comes up. Have never seen as much plot usage this early in 20 years. Afraid it's going to be one for the books...

Was 26 here this morning but warmed up quick & very minimal frost. Hopefully the seedlings I have left didn't get whacked
Absolutely eating the plots to dirt!

megalomaniac

Interestingly enough my one plot that completely failed last year due to going underwater for a week did great this year despite the drought. There was good soil moisture when I planted it 1st week of Sept, but I only got 1.3in rain in the week after planting, then none for 5 weeks. The plants are a little stunted, but overall excellent coverage and this plot is 2 acres, so a TON of food available.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221019-145513_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221019-145513_Gallery.jpg
    350.7 KB · Views: 46

tellico4x4

Interestingly enough my one plot that completely failed last year due to going underwater for a week did great this year despite the drought. There was good soil moisture when I planted it 1st week of Sept, but I only got 1.3in rain in the week after planting, then none for 5 weeks. The plants are a little stunted, but overall excellent coverage and this plot is 2 acres, so a TON of food available.
I'd take that in a heartbeat

megalomaniac

I thought it was pretty good for a week and a half.
You should be good... since the freeze didn't kill it last week, add another .5 to 1in of rain today depending on your location, plus another shower this upcoming weekend, I bet it looks lush by opening gun season...

UNLESS... you have no other food in the area due to the drought (no acorns, soft mass, frost burned native browse, etc). In that case, the deer may very well wipe it out by the time you pick up a rifle.

BSK

Forecast amounts for this weekend are all over the place. From around 0.20" to 1.25", depending upon the model. What worries me is the trend in the models towards taking out the cold front the day before MZ opens and replacing it with a return to Indian Summer, with days of strong South winds and record warmth for the opening week of MZ season. :mad: One primary model (European) still has a big rain on Friday and a cold snap following, but the other two (Canadian, American) have shifted to the warm-spell scenario.

megalomaniac

Forecast amounts for this weekend are all over the place. From around 0.20" to 1.25", depending upon the model. What worries me is the trend in the models towards taking out the cold front the day before MZ opens and replacing it with a return to Indian Summer, with days of strong South winds and record warmth for the opening week of MZ season. :mad: One primary model (European) still has a big rain on Friday and a cold snap following, but the other two (Canadian, American) have shifted to the warm-spell scenario.
With my late start and stunted plots, I wouldn't mind for it to stay warm in ML to help growth of plots. I've never had any problem with daytime temps affecting our ability to kill old bucks when the first does start coming in. The biggest downside is I can't start the aging process of the meat outside if temps get into the 70s.

Although we are WAY behind precip wise... with the 1in I got 12d ago, plus the .5in yesterday, then if I get another .5in this weekend, the plots are gonna be just fine even if I don't get rain for another 3 weeks after that.

Latest posts