9mm & 45 Cal Reload Results

kamml

I finally got around to shooting my 45 and 9mm reloads. The 45 shot the 240 gr round nose with no problems except for a flash of burned powder residue from time to time across the my face. Never had that happen before. But my240 gr hollow point reloads turned out to be sensitive to the magazine spring pressure. I use Sig mags that have always been reliable but if I loaded more than 6 hollow points in a mag these bullets were hanging up on the feed ramp. Scratch that bullet design.

My 9mm hollow points were flawless with no failures to feed, stovepipes or other problems. In fact the more I shot the full size Walther the more I liked it with the load. No problems with my reloads at all. With the primer shortage I have been using small rifle primers so far with no issues. I am using Everglades Ammo 9 mm 124 gr bullets, very pleased with them too.

backyardtndeer

Also using srp for my 9 loads. Had a brick of Remington 6 1/2, and they have run great in three different pistols we have used them in. Use 5.5 grains silhouette and 115 grain berry rn. I have since bought a couple bricks of pistol primers, but haven't gotten into them yet.

Fwiw, everglades was one of the first online sellers to engage in price gouging when the insanity started. I quit doing business with them.

DaveB

Interesting that flash of powder. Anything with pistols that even vaguely suggests something amiss really gets my attention. A very small variance (2/10 gr) in a thrown charge cost me over 200 in repairs. Fortunately no doctor bills.

Take a look at your fired brass before you clean them up. You getting lots of powder residue on some cases, all cases, rare cases? Maybe same headstamp? Just my opinion--The small rifle primer is too hot. Could also be quite a few other causes. Still, I would eliminate that as a maybe.

I noticed Everglades prices went up pretty fast and that steered me away from them.

TiminTN

I finally got around to shooting my 45 and 9mm reloads. The 45 shot the 240 gr round nose with no problems except for a flash of burned powder residue from time to time across the my face. Never had that happen before. But my240 gr hollow point reloads turned out to be sensitive to the magazine spring pressure. I use Sig mags that have always been reliable but if I loaded more than 6 hollow points in a mag these bullets were hanging up on the feed ramp. Scratch that bullet design.

My 9mm hollow points were flawless with no failures to feed, stovepipes or other problems. In fact the more I shot the full size Walther the more I liked it with the load. No problems with my reloads at all. With the primer shortage I have been using small rifle primers so far with no issues. I am using Everglades Ammo 9 mm 124 gr bullets, very pleased with them too.
Not sure where you live, but I have small pistol primers, would trade for small rifle. I am in Memphis.